The Sewing Place

RTW top I'd like to copy

SewRuthieSews

RTW top I'd like to copy
« on: August 13, 2022, 09:42:44 AM »
I love this RTW top, it is deceptively simple with the front gathered into a square of reinforced jersey which is embellished with beads and sequins.

I'd like to make my own version, but have never found a pattern that was quite the same.

In theory all I need to do is slash and spread where the gathers are, and work out how to sew the square (its actually a rectangle that folds over to the back).

I'm open to ideas for the patternwork and/or a pattern which would be like this - I wonder if Burda magazine ever did one?

Helen M

Re: RTW top I'd like to copy
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 10:01:20 AM »
@SewRuthieSews It's not a sort of cowl neck that is gathered then fastened into the piece of fabric is it?
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 10:06:03 AM »
How about NewLook 6218

Adding the folded over rectangle will pull the neckline down, then just sew a bit of bling over the front of the square.

eta, I think it would need to be a stretchy fabric and omit the back fastening from the pattern.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 10:07:35 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 10:40:45 AM »
@BrendaP, Well I've got that pattern so no harm in giving it a try. I don't think it'll quite give the amount of gathers of the original.

@Helen M , I did wonder that. Might be a way to fix a cowl neck top I made that doesn't have enough facing and flips out!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 10:43:21 AM by SewRuthieSews »

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 11:29:38 AM »
I have a prima pattern that might do it although it has a CF seam. I'll have a look later for you.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2022, 12:52:55 PM »
I think it might be a cowl that’s fastened in place too.  Have a look at the ribs in the knit fabric.  Not sure if that would give an indicator. If it was me I’d be trying to pull the neck out to see what it did.  :)

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2022, 13:19:00 PM »
I've flipped through my Burda mags but there's nothing remotely like this. I do like it, when you find out how to make it pleas let me know!! I have this Prima pattern   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   but I don't think there's enough gather. If you have any spare jersey fabric, I'd try a wide, shallow scoop gathered at the CF. I agree that there's extra fabric across the front but I don't think it's a cowl.
Mary

realale

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2022, 15:08:12 PM »
I once had a t-shirt with centre gathers like that and the gathers were made by a length of 1/4" elastic sewed on the wrong side. I can't remember any more details though - apart  from the colour which I don't think would help!!  :D
So many beers, so little time.

maliw

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2022, 20:47:43 PM »
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Helen M

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 10:35:58 AM »
That was the pattern that I had in mind also the Creative Cate.

@SewRuthieSews do you remember the SewingEngineer on Stitcher's Guild who used to make so many Style Arc patterns? I seem to remember her attaching a clip-on earring to the cowl and gathering it in making something like the top you have in mind.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 11:19:43 AM »
I don't remember that sorry @Helen M but I can imagine how it'd work.

BTW I posted this on my blog too (as somewhere to link the pics from) and have a few comments back.

"Burda magazine did have a top like this, I think in a may issue maybe fifteen years ago. I thought about making it but didn’t. I will try to remember to dig it up and report back."

"I would look for a darted top pattern that fits the way you like and then rotate all the darts to the CF neckline."

"liesl and co cappuccino has what you want horizontally - you would still have to change it vertically."

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2022, 11:33:02 AM »
Yesterday I took the pattern @BrendaP recommended (as I already had it) and have had a go at sewing something, with only partial success I would say.

It's not finished yet but looks like this

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2022, 11:36:32 AM »
I drafted up a piece 8cm x 4cm plus seam allowances and interfaced it.
Its still a bit soft so I think it'll need several layers and/or stiffer interfacing in future.

I've bound the neckline, doing it firmly on the back neck and more loosely on the front neck.

I gathered 10cm into the 4cm square, this doesn't seem to be enough (it was hard to measure the original).

Lachica

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2022, 11:54:50 AM »
Getting there @SewRuthieSews ! I agree it needs at least twice as much fabric in the gathers.
Mary

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2022, 12:57:10 PM »
Not a bad start.