The Sewing Place

Interlock Jersey

Starryfish

Interlock Jersey
« on: August 13, 2022, 12:22:09 PM »
I have just seen an instagram post from Fabworks about their fabric of the month- interlock jersey. They said :
Interlocks are the ideal fabric for people who want to start experimenting with jersey/stretch fabrics, as they're more stable and versatile than single jerseys.🪡

I can't say I have found that to be true. In my experience they move around more than single jersey and I find it harder to get a good neckband that lies against the neck properly. Is this anyone else's experience or is it something I am doing wrong?
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Ohsewsimple

Re: Interlock Jersey
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 12:58:32 PM »
I used to use interlock cotton jersey years ago.  I bought a load back from Copenhagen with me at one time.  I found it easy to work with as there’s no curling.  But I found that it stretched out and up.  I generally only use jersey with elastane in now to keep its shape. 

Vezelay

Re: Interlock Jersey
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2022, 14:50:22 PM »
Like @Ohsewsimple I've found cotton interlock stable and easy to sew. But because it has stretch but less rebound that means it's probably best for teeshirts, for example, whereas pants or a dress could tend to sag with wear. Neckbands could be awkward for the same reason @Starryfish. With a more stable jersey I find a double turn, coverstitched neckline hem sometimes works but I'm not sure about that with cotton interlock.

For me the worst thing about sewing with interlock is knowing which side is which if I've forgotten to mark the fabric!