The Sewing Place

Tencel sweater knit

Silver Rose

Tencel sweater knit
« on: August 14, 2022, 11:50:50 AM »
I have ordered some mauve Tencel sweater knit to make a raglan sleeved tunic style top with McCalls 7122. I haven't sewn with this fabric before. Are there any peculiarities about how it behaves? Thanks in advance for any advice.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 15:04:43 PM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Ouryve

Re: Tencel sweater kniti
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2022, 12:26:40 PM »
I'd expect it to be like sewing knitted worms!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

So Chic

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 12:46:14 PM »
I would imagine that it will be very stretchy so will need to be kept under control when sewing.  Have you asked the seller for any advice on handling it?
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 13:00:02 PM »
Have you got a link for it @Silver Rose ?

Silver Rose

Re: Tencel sweater knit
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 14:57:08 PM »
Thanks for all your comments, I expect it will be like a very stretchy jersey knit  65% stretch on the width and 20% stretch on the length.
https://www.minerva.com/mp/1232269/meet-milk-tencel-fine-sweater-stretch-knit-fabric-mauve&variant=1256421
I hope this is the right page I'd forgotten how to include a link.
Using this pattern
https://www.sewdirect.com/product/mccalls-m7122/
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 15:07:57 PM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 17:10:12 PM »
Ooh that looks really nice. I’ve had to bookmark that stuff.  I see Lamazi also sells it.  I know what will happen, I’ll leave it till later and it will all be sold out in all colours! :rolleyes:

Anyway, the pattern is designed for a much less stretchier knit so something to bear in mind.  I would think it might drop a bit too as it stretches lengthwise too.  If you’re planning on putting in  the side slits it might be an idea to stabilise the area first.  But I think it will be lovely in that!  Look forward to seeing it.  My fave colour! :thumb:

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 17:22:57 PM »
@Ohsewsimple I love anything in purple shades too, it comes in lovely colours  and is quite expensive so I shall think carefully how I use it.
I was going to slim down the tunic, lose the side splits and maybe shorten it a little and add a polo neck/cowl thingy. I looked for ages for a raglan sleeved top pattern and there weren't very many and then I found M7122 in my box, it was a freebie with a magazine I bought some time ago, magazines are getting expensive too.
Still learning

Nevis5

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 07:40:56 AM »
Ohhh, @Silver Rose  that looks beautiful!  (sits on hands and credit card).  I would think it will be OK to sew if you use a fine needle and/or two threads on an overlocker.  I have made linen jersey tops from Meet the Maker fabric which seems to be high quality stuff and I would expect this tencel knit to be of the same ilk.  Good luck! 

Silver Rose

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 11:17:32 AM »
The parcel arrived earlier and the Tencel is  beautifully soft and silky and rather finer than I thought and very stretchy across tbe width but not so stretchy down the length. It'll be O K for layering when the weather is cooler. The colour is just like the photo so I am pleased with it. I've got to finish my trousers first before I decide which pattern to use for a tunic/top.
Still learning

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2022, 11:25:14 AM »
Look forward to seeing this finished. I think a simple  style with few design features so there’s  less to go wrong with a fine jersey.  Although I’m sure you’re experienced  enough to handle it anyway! :)

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 11:38:19 AM »
@Ohsewsimple I like simple styles  :D I am growing in experience and confidence with my sewing thanks to a lot of good advice from TSPers  <3
Still learning