The Sewing Place

Levelling hemline

Mocarroll

Levelling hemline
« on: August 28, 2022, 17:08:12 PM »
I am sewing this dress New Look 6123 to wear at my son’s wedding in October. After doing 3 toiles I am happy with the fit ( FBA, high round back, fwd shoulder, add lining, shorten bodice,etc etc., bored now!). However now that I’ve hemmed the dress the hem is dipping on the side where the flounce and drapes are. The side seams are vertical and the hem runs at right angles to the sides. Should I secure the drapes with some invisible stitches or level the hem? The fabric is a beautiful John Kaldor crepe de chine which I have underlined.

Catllar

Re: Levelling hemline
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2022, 18:10:04 PM »
Had a look at the pattern and the drapes don't seem very voluminous in order to cause drooping so I wouldn't touch them but level the hem, that, yes, I'd do that.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2022, 18:29:38 PM »
I'd suggest it's not the frill it's the hem, have you got one of those powdered chalk hem markers you could use, if not is there someone who could help you mark it with a yard stick and tailors chalk?
I'd wear it for half an hour or so to let it settle where it wants to go before you mark it though.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 19:06:18 PM »
Does the waist sit in the right place?   Is the waist pulling down at that side?