The Sewing Place

Honig Design Garden Party Dress

Missie

Honig Design Garden Party Dress
« on: April 16, 2017, 11:51:36 AM »
Right, I'm committing this project to here, which means I have to get it done!

I started this at least a year ago and bought the fabric at least a year before that (a yummy patterned Art Gallery cotton; it's a pattern that kind of reminds me of a mandala, on a mustard background with coral, purpley-brown and white pattern and is far nicer than the hideous description I have just given lol).  I have done the initial adjustments (FBA and lengthening the bodice) and made a first toile.  I have some adjustments to do but being that it was toiled so long ago, I'm kind of guessing at what they should be (note to self write better notes on my toiles!).  I am determined to get this done as my summer wardrobe is sadly lacking!  So far it seems to have gone together quite well, especially as it is a freebie, except that my darts aren't straight and I can't work out why (and I can't find my pattern cutting book either - new cupboard is on my wish list!)

Will report back in due course!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 11:54:24 AM by Missie »

Catllar

Re: Honig Design Garden Party Dress
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 22:58:37 PM »
Look forward to seeing it!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Missie

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 10:37:53 AM »
Well, the message at the top has told me that this message has not been posted on for 60 days, oops!

As the kids were with their Dad yesterday afternoon/evening, I decided to crack on with my dress, especially as it is so hot and I have very little in the way of a summer wardrobe!

I'd cut the dress out a few weeks ago.  I was just about to cut into it, when I remembered that I had to pattern match.  So I relaid it, found the skirt front was too wide for the fabric so had to fiddle with the pattern to make it into 2 pieces and then had to match it.  Cut the skirt out then spent an age matching the back bodice, cut it out......only to realise that I hadn't matched the back skirt. Ho hum!  Hopefully no-one will notice that much, plus, as I purchased an already cut lenght, I wouldn't have been able to match it anyway as there wasn't enough fabric.  My friend asked what I was going to do (with it not matching)........the dress has been renamed "The-sit-on- my-bum-and-do-nothing Dress".

Anyway I digress.  Got the darts sewn in on the bodice and lining.  Spent an age ensuring the back bodice matched perfectly, (think the basting came out 2 and the skirt resewn to bodice once to ensure the seams were even at the waist), pinned the zip in........and then realised that I can't put the zip in until I've sewn the lining in as it is a sleeveless dress and I need to pull it through!

This dress is turning into a bit of a saga......it had better be worth it and summer had better not disappear the minute I finish it!

Emma2109

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 10:44:38 AM »
I am sure it will be worth it  <3

I made a skirt a few months ago when I first started sewing and put a lining in...I looked like one of those toilet roll dolls from the 1970's....a lea Ning curve  :|

I am intrigued and look forward to seeing the dress....xx

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 20:52:07 PM »
Who is this "Lea Ning" and what is his curve all about?? ;)
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Missie

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 10:16:48 AM »
Progress made - hurrah!  Bodice and lining sewn together, invisible zip inserted (without an invisible foot, I might add!), skirt front sewn on and one side-seam pinned.  I have to make a slight adjustment where the back bodice and lining are sewn together at the the armhole edge as one side is slightly longer than the other.  I may just get this dress made by this weekend, all bar the hem as I need help with that.

Missie

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 09:46:55 AM »
You know how once in a while you make an item of clothing that just doesn't play nicely?  Well this is mine! I'd shortened the waist darts as I thought they were too long.......bad move (note to self just leave things alone!) so  I had to redo them.  Then I realised that the fold were in the wrong place (ie not starting at the waist dart but where they finished).  I was going to leave it but I decided it made for too much fabric in the side hip area, so I had to unpick the front waist seam and do it again. I couldn't follow the pattern markings as I'd dropped a couple of sizes on the bodice and done an FBA.  Then when I was sewing the lining, I sewn one of the back skirt panels on the wrong way so that the CB was on the side seam.  Sigh!

However, I'm pleased to report that it is now almost done, just the hem to do which I need help with levelling.........but I'm not sure I like the dress now, or rather the dress made in the fabric I've chosen. -<  Pics to follow as soon as it is fully finished!