The Sewing Place

Jacket finishing

realale

Re: Jacket finishing
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 13:29:03 PM »
Oooh, that is fabulous @b15erk  :thumb: You always sew such lovely things. Totally worth your sore fingers!!  :P
So many beers, so little time.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 13:38:25 PM »
Your jacket is lovely.  Well done for persevering and I hope your fingers feel better soon :)

Surest1tch

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2022, 15:53:06 PM »
That's beautiful, well done for showing it who's the boss  :thumb:

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2022, 08:25:36 AM »
Thank You all!  You are all so lovely!

Fingers are feeling a little better today - apart from the thumb I managed to nick while trimming some lamb steaks... :cry:

Time to move on to the Christmas Bags!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2022, 16:30:04 PM »
what a lovely jacket and so beautifully finished. well done @b15erk

Silver Rose

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2022, 16:36:12 PM »
Great jacket and beautifully finished as always  @b15erk  :thumb:
Still learning

Ouryve

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2022, 17:27:45 PM »
I love that collar and it's so neat and crisp looking.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Catllar

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2022, 10:43:53 AM »
That's very nice Jessie, those seams look so crisp now. next challenge - buttonholes? Bound ones are easier IMHO!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Elnnina

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2022, 11:06:09 AM »
Oh I agree with Catllar bound buttonholes are lovely, easy to do, but do  a few practice ones first.  Jessie I know you have several machines, I was taught when still at school to actually go slow when stitching these and count the stitches, so perhaps a hand crank machine or one where you can really slow this down would work best.  It is important that you get the same number of stitches on the two long sides, and also a shorter  number on the two short sides.  Have a go and see how you get on.

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2022, 11:30:28 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement @Catllar and @Elnnina , I actually know I can do buttonholes quite well.

I think the insecurity comes from seeing a coat my dear aunt had made at her tailoring class.  She'd probably spent over a year on this coat, and it had cost a fortune in both time and money. I do hope she didn't see my face as I wouldn't hurt her for the world, but these beautifully worked buttonholes were mis-aligned!  :scream:  My eye was drawn straight to them, and I just thought it was such a shame...

Also, I don't know if you remember the grey blazer type jacket (which I hated) I made in the summer.  Well, I did buttons and buttonholes, and the last thing I did, was to cut the buttonholes.  You guessed it, I sliced right through the top buttonhole - I think there's actually a picture of it on here somewhere!  :rolleyes:

At least with my snaps, I can move them if necessary!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.