The Sewing Place

Conservatory Blind Covers?

Gernella

Conservatory Blind Covers?
« on: June 27, 2017, 11:16:08 AM »
During the winter I draw up the conservatory blinds and cover them in like a sack of fleece, not elegant but it works.  We have heating but we seem to get a lot of dirt come in because of it being attached to the back door so it gives them some protection and it lets more light in during dreary months.

I've just bought a remnant of Ebay with the idea of making some proper covers that I can slip over and tie at the top.  The fabric is a good quality cotton but a bit thin, so having had a bit of a quilting moment last year, I wondered about making them quilted. I've got plenty of the batting so just need the backing.

I don't want to spend too much time with them so what would be  the best and easiest way to quilt the  fabric.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Vegegrow

Re: Conservatory Blind Covers?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 11:29:17 AM »
Could quilted fabric made into a drawstring bag be bulky.. can you just  line with an old sheet? Cotton will fade  in the sunlight so you don't want to put to much effort into the bags
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Sakar

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 11:40:28 AM »
I would consider, what Vege said! ;)

But if you want to quilt it, I can recommend "crazy  quilting". That's what I do in such cases. It's quite easy, just sew some straight lines all over the fabric.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 11:55:10 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I don't draw them up like a drawstring bag, what I've been doing is pulling the fleece over the top of the rail and stapling together.  The replacement would be strings on either side of the fabric at the top and tying.

The fabric is unlikely to fade as it is north facing and rarely sees any sun in winter apart from maybe last thing at night on a good day, the house roof stops it hitting during the daytime.

Crazy quilting sounds like a perfect idea. <3 <3  Can't use old sheets though, more recently they have all gone to the Sally Army and a tenant of a charity I am a trustee, he moved in with nothing so we all helped him out.

Problem solved.  :)
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 12:26:44 PM »
Best is probably spending hours and hours doing wholecloth hand quilting  :devil:  but quickest and easiest would be Sakar's suggestion of crazy quilting as you don't have to fuss with keeping lines parallel or at a set distance.  Do use a walking foot if you have one.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 16:58:00 PM »
You could sew a folded band of cotton around the open edge and then sew elastic on the side that doesn't show and stretch as you go so it grips the blinds.

Trying to think of another alternative if you don't like the elastic idea but I don't have blinds so I'm wondering if there are any gaps along the fixing where a tie could be pushed through? Then you only need to wrap the fabric around the blind and thread the tie through then fasten with a bow?
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »
Well the job isn't as hard as it sounds, the blinds are only on two sides, third (middle) side looks down the garden and onto the field so no need for privacy and there is no sun summer or winter.  I'm thinking of two ties on each side, which will go over the top and tie.  Another thought is to put velcro on each side so more flexibility.  When they are drawn up they roughly cover a width of about 13/14" each.

It makes a nice change doing something that doesn't have to be fitted and fussed with.