The Sewing Place

Anyone used Silhouette Patterns by Peggy Sagar?

Marniesews

Anyone used Silhouette Patterns by Peggy Sagar?
« on: June 27, 2017, 15:59:33 PM »
Anyone tried Silhouette Patterns? I do like Peggy Sagar's videos and have seen a pattern that I like but don't just want to try and hack - the Cut Up Tee.

Her sizing measurements are a bit confusing being finished garment rather than body size but I suppose I can work that out.

It says only $3 shipping which I'm assuming must be correct for UK as I'd logged into my account which has my address details.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Marniesews

Re: Anyone used Silhouette Patterns by Peggy Sagar?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 18:13:34 PM »
Still hoping someone here may have used the Silhouette Patterns and can comment on how they worked for them.... -<
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 19:05:05 PM »
No sorry Marnie...  :[
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 21:36:51 PM »
Never mind, perhaps those that know of them just watch her videos but haven't bought any of her patterns - like Jessie & I. I'll give SG a go - must be someone there.

Update: huuuuuge post on SG (as they often are) so I'll plough through that and see how it goes.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 21:40:36 PM by Marniesews »

Lizzy777

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 22:25:34 PM »
I've never heard of Silhouette patterns before but have found one review for the pattern you are looking at, 'the cut up tee' looks like a recent review too.

https://sewing.patternreview.com/review/pattern/134224
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 22:42:20 PM by Lizzy777 »

Maximum

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 23:37:15 PM »
I bought one of her patterns about 2 years ago because I liked her videos and presentation style. Never got around to trying it as the Guide Dog pup I had living here at the time chewed it to mush - my fault for leaving it lying around. Did try to salvage it but gave up and binned it. Not much help to you but I think of that dog every time I see PS mentioned :D

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 01:42:55 AM »
No pets here and my OH is far too well trained for that!

Off to check out that review now. Thank you Lizzy.  :D

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 08:36:59 AM »
Just read the review, and it's very positive.  The fit looks lovely, I think the only caution is about the lapped seams and slim arm fitting.

I'm sure PS does a video using this T shirt pattern, must have a look.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Morgan

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 14:35:46 PM »
Long post warning

Still hoping someone here may have used the Silhouette Patterns and can comment on how they worked for them....

I've tried a couple of the Silhouette Patterns some time ago but have pics for only one of them - Silhouette 1912 Samantha Jacket

There were two key issues -  one is a result of 2 mistakes by me (which were avoidable had I been paying attention and less giddy to get going) and the other is a predictable result of the pattern drafting & styling.

Let's get the issue of my 2 mistakes out of the way -
I was so eager to try the double collar feature I completely forgot to adjust for turn-of-cloth on both layers of both collars. That's why when they are zipped together at the back the outer collar is a bit short and pulls the zipped edges in too much.  A face/palm stupido moment.
I should have made a full toile before cutting into what was £25 per metre hand woven wool fabric and silk lining. I'd have picked up both the turn-of-cloth issue and the built in armscye/sleeve issue.  Foolishly I was rushing and did the quick measure the pattern at key points type check but in an error of judgement I trusted that if I used this as a learning project to try out Peggy Sagar's approach I'd get to the same place as I would by following my usual fitting methods and experience. Wrong!! - but I still learnt a lot because of this and I still got a jacket that I wore quite a bit.  Many people wouldn't have noticed but I knew it should have been better fitted and why and that was the disappointment factor for me.

The other issue is built into the pattern.  In essence it's the shoulder/armscye/sleevecap - which produces an american footballer look.  The shoulder point is extended out(but then supported by a shoulder pad, the armscye is deep and the sleeve cap width and shaping gives a very wide and rounded sleeve. 
Anyone who has drafted a 'good' armscye will spot from the pics of the pattern pieces that there would be an issue.  (For anyone interested on cloning couture there is an article comparing armscye shapes which gives some insight into how different armscyes can be from one pattern to another)
This factor is apparent from the line drawing and the promo photos but bearing in mind that I have both square and broad shoulders, I thought this factor would probably just save me having to make a couple of my usual adjustments.  When it came to fitting and making the actual jacket, my personal preference is for a more ergonimcally fitted armscye and sleeve cap and a higher armhole so I ended up having to mash up some alterations as best I could with the already cut pieces.   

I can't say for certain whether the issue is (a) built into the base template (sloper/block) from which the pattern was made, or (b) a matter of style/design in this particular pattern.
My opinion is that it's mostly (a) and a little of (b).
The drafting/styling and designs of Silhouette patterns are not really to my personal taste.  There's a generic basic shape on which the designs are built and from a drafting and offering a commercial pattern collection it makes perfect sense.    Just look at the line diagrams of the backs, shoulders and armholes of all the designs - notice anything?  Try it, you have to click on the design to get the photo then click on the photo to see the front and back line drawing so my suggestion could be a bit tedious but you'll soon see what I mean.

Silhouette Patterns are exactly what is claimed - uncomplicated designs.  It's hardly surprising that they're generally a relaxed or semi-fitted styling.  That's great for pattern making and sewing projects because generally fewer adjustments are needed for a wider range of body shapes.  Therefore, if you prefer a more 'fitted' styling then expect to make the relevant pattern alterations.

A general point about Peggy Sagar's approach/system for pattern selection and fitting - there's nothing wrong with it of itself.
There are several different different approaches/systems for fitting and making pattern alterations for fit.  Not all aspects of each are interchangeable.
If you want to mix and match methods then it helps to know which bits can be transferrable from one system to another and which won't work. That's something you pick up with experience and trying different systems.
After a while you find the methods and techniques you favour and then it's common sense to stick to what works for you.  Until then it helps to treat sewing projects and fitting as learning projects.
 Think of different fitting systems like methods for making cakes.  There are several different methods to make a sponge cake eg. creaming method, all in one method, whisking method and so on.  Some bits of the methods are similar and others aren't but generally you need to follow one method or the other all the way through to get the particular result.

To get back to my experience and the Samantha Jacket -
I love the double collar, zip front and general design lines of the bodice.  I shall make the jacket again but will probably frankenpattern the design details to a pattern created from my personal block and use my preferred sleeve rather than do the work I'd need to do to alter the actual Silhouette pattern to fit.  I suspect I may also make a 3/4 length carcoat/jacket version.

There is nothing wrong with the pattern itself, it delivers exactly what the design is.  The issue for me is that the design of the shoulder/armscye/sleeve cap isn't to my personal taste.

The other pattern I have personal experience of is 3600 Ralph's Pant (a fairly standard trouser pattern).  I helped a friend fit and sew this pattern.  She wanted to try Peggy Sagar's method for fitting pants.  We both wanted to see how close the sizing would work using the measure hips whilst sitting method would work.  It did work and will work better for people with proper rounded buttocks and probably for full bootilicious derrieres but isn't so great for those with flat and low seats.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 12:02:49 PM by Morgan »

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 17:35:35 PM »
I've moved to the laptop as all I could get following the photo link on my phone was a closed loop of announcements offering me gambling opportunities in Peterborough as apparently I've  won a ipad!  :S :angry:

I can see why you like that collar detail, Morgan, it's a lovely feature so I'm really glad to see it's definitely very wearable but I can understand your frustration. Pleased to see there's a good level of pattern markings on them. Thank you for all the information. :) I do agree about the pitfalls of taking reviews on face value, i think that applies to reviews in general but it is helpful to note if repeated issues arise and whether it might be the product or otherwise. Fortunately it's the casual stuff I'm interested in (the tunics really seem to suit me these days) so that will give me more leeway.

Thank you guys for the other comments too. I've been dipping into her podcasts every now and then after reading that Jessie was a fan and it was watching the video that originally made me think about trying this pattern. I hate pdfs but it looks like the postage of these US patterns is surprisingly cheap and thus an option for me, after all. I've not sewn lapped seams apart from bodges of thick household stuff that wouldn't be visible. I thought my coverstitch might be really good for this and if I use a plain fabric I could sew it on the reverse for more surface interest.

The slim arm warning is important for me Jessie. Although I've lost a lot of weight my arms are proportionally bigger than my dress size so I'll be adding an even bigger allowance now I know that. Don't hold your breath though....I've a number of ballroom dresses to get through this summer (the bodice toile of one is sitting glaring at me right now!) but I'm hoping I may be able to squeeze it in for a short holiday in September.