The Sewing Place

Project Linus Quilts

Lowena

Project Linus Quilts
« on: June 27, 2017, 19:20:05 PM »
I decided to do a disappearing 9 patch, baby quilt for PL. It came together quickly... then....I did Imi's trick and ran out of one of the main fabrics I needed  :\
I added a contrasting, squared border and this afternoon have managed to sandwich the quilt, using some bright batik fabric from Doughty's ( bought at Exeter ) which I haven't used and some 80/20 wadding.
Now I have done the first line of quilting and am pleased with the result so far. I think it measures approx 36" x 45" so the binding shouldn't be too onerous.
Not sure if it'll be good enough to send, but I'll wait and see.
Hopefully I'll have some photos by the weekend  :)
 :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ellabella

Re: Project Linus Quilts
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 19:50:56 PM »
What do you mean, not good enough to send Low?

Its a BABY quilt, their critical faculties are not well developed and they don't know about perfect piecing and are the lines of quilting accurate.

Its something to be wrapped in and to cuddle, made with thought and affection. That's all that matters.

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 21:16:43 PM »
Not sure if it'll be good enough to send, but I'll wait and see.

:S  ><  :o  :angry:

Oh Low What are we going to do with you

As Ellabella said "Its something to be wrapped in and to cuddle, made with thought and affection. That's all that matters." and as I say  "its made with care and kindness and the lucky people who receive it will be thrilled"

apologies I seem to have hit the bold button and its stuck whoops
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 06:54:39 AM by Iminei »
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 10:12:50 AM »
Thanks girls, but they are scruitinised by the PL co-ordinator and then the parents get a choice of quilts and I can't help seeing ( in my minds eye ) mine languishing on the pile for years...unwanted and unloved  :'( :'( because the lines weren't quite straight  :D :D
When I've finished I put a photo on and see if it passes muster  :ninja:

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 11:07:51 AM »
Well just shut your minds eye.

You won't see the pile so will never know. Just think several mums could be fighting over who gets to take yours home.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »
Thanks girls, you've cheered me up and I'm off to finish it  :D :D

rubywishes

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 13:19:23 PM »
Good grief Lowie, you are a sausage!!! Fair dinkum you are!  Here you were giving me a gee up over my 9 patch frustrations and now you're succumbing to perfection glooms as well! I just won't have it...pure and simple.

Your quilt (quilts) will be wonderful, and picked, and loved! Hold your hand out, palm up and I'm giving you a smack with the ruler just like our teachers did "in the old days"...smack there...now go back to your seat and write 100 times..."I am wonderful, and my Linus quilts will be too!"

(OOOo look at me.. I found the Italics button! :) )
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 13:23:30 PM »
You're a true friend Rubes and I appreciate your support ( if not the stinging hand from the ruler  :'( :'( )
I suppose I won't know, even if mine languishes in the pile............. unless I get a letter of rejection from the local co-ordinator  :ninja:

rubywishes

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 13:29:05 PM »
Oh my, is it really only 1.30 in the afternoon "over there"? It's nearly 10.30 in the evening here.  Sorry O.T but just had to mention as I noticed your post come in Lowie. giggle gigglle...night night!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 13:31:03 PM »
Night night, mind those ducks behind the sofa ;)

rubywishes

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 13:42:20 PM »
Night night, mind those ducks behind the sofa ;)

They're all snuggled down for the night too!  quack!

maliw

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 13:57:03 PM »
Stop it, stop it, stop it Low, your quilt will be lovely I'm certain if other things you have posted on here are anything to go by. It doesn't have to be a showstopper, just think of the love and thought that has gone into making it.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lowena

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 18:55:44 PM »
I have finished my quilt and am quite pleased with it.
The quilt holder is my OH being silly  :D

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 18:57:35 PM »
Another view of the front with a corner turned over so the back is visible

Ploshkin

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 19:48:59 PM »
That's lovely Lowena.  I love the pinks, blues and purples in the main part.
Life's too short for ironing.