The Sewing Place

A "WIPGO" sew along

WendyW

A "WIPGO" sew along
« on: January 04, 2023, 16:35:30 PM »
Note from the Sewalong admins (aka Ruthie). Wendy has reached out to us explaining this Sewalong and I'm happy for it to go ahead. However any questions on how it works will have to go to Wendy :-) as she knows how it works!

------------------------------

@Pearl mentioned something on a Darkside thread that I thought would be fun to run with for all of us. This is a "game" called WIPGO - Works In Progress binGO. This originated from a cross-stitcher and the on-line chatter for it seems to center around that craft. I thought it would be fun to get our own going that is sewing-centered.

This video explains it. She's pretty long-winded, and I easily got the gist of the concept while skipping through the video.

I'll be using the numbers that she posts for each month, and I'll pass them on here. There are two numbers each month- two tasks to complete. These are announced on the 25th of each month for the following month's projects.

To join us in our game:

1. Make up a list of 24 things you want to accomplish in your sewing room. These can be true WIPs (AKA UFOs), unstarted projects that you've been procrastinating, maintenance tasks for your space, practice time for a sewing skill, or simply items on your to-do list. You can break a large project into several chunks for separate boxes. Basically anything related to your sewing and sewing space. This is the only REQUIRED step for this thread. All following steps are for fun only.

2. Plug your list items into a 5x5 grid. You can put them in some kind of order, or scramble them up. Like in Bingo, the center space is "FREE"- don't put a task there.

3. Number the blocks 1-25. The source numbers them straight across the rows. You could mix them up if you like.

4. When you FINISH a task WITHIN it's designated month, you can mark it off your board. A task must be completed, not merely its number called, in order to mark it off. You can work on a project in advance of its month, but to be marked off, it must be completed before its designated month is over. When you complete an entire row, that's a BINGO. If you complete every task on your board before it's month is done, you will get a total of 12 BINGOs- 5 horizontal, 5 vertical, 2 diagonal- for the year. The ultimate goal is a "Blackout", every space marked off, and every task completed.

5.  If numbered straight across, we will all get a "Bingo" (a completed row) within the same month. If you mix up your numbers, your Bingo timing will differ from everyone else's. If you are working from a list only, no grid, then no BINGOs for you! Just the satisfaction of a job well done!

6. You can leave your board entirely visible with numbers written in the squares; you can slap a sticky note over each square to hide the task until its number is called; or you can get all fancy and crafty and make a cover sheet with little doors for each space.

7. Plan some rewards for yourself for whenever a BINGO is reached. A new sewing gadget, a pretty piece of fabric, that pattern you've been drooling over, or some non-sewing pleasure. You've worked hard to reach a goal and dispose of mental clutter (we all know those UFO are mental clutter!) You deserve to be rewarded for it.

8. When you've gotten a Bingo, come here and yell "BINGO!" We'll celebrate with you.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 14:57:51 PM by WendyW »

SewRuthieSews

Re: A "WIPGO" sew along
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 17:35:12 PM »
Thanks to @WendyW and @Pearl for suggesting this sewalong. I'll be interested to see how it works as its a new one to me.

WendyW

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 17:59:49 PM »
The numbers for January are the answers to the following math problems. I've encoded them this way for this month only so you can get your boards ready before you see the numbers. Future numbers will be posted some time on the 25th of each month for the following month.

First number:  432/72 = ?
Second number   5x5-15= ?

Thanks for posting it, Ruthie!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 18:02:09 PM by WendyW »

Kwaaked

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 08:37:54 AM »
Bingo Baker is a good source for a card and it creates a link to share so others can see your card.

I'll have a think on this and see if I have 24 projects I can do. 

WendyW

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 15:48:56 PM »
If anyone is interested, here's my card for this year. Created on Word, printed on cardstock, and Post-its cut to size. Only a few projects are UFOs, some are tasks on my to-do list such as shades and drapes for the new house, others I've been procrastinating on starting for years. The need to cut my scraps into pre-cuts is an on-going maintenance, and scrappy quilts for charity are also on-going.

WIPGO board by CraftymamaMN, on Flickr

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 16:19:58 PM »
OK I'll see if I can give it a go!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 16:55:38 PM »
OK here's my board. I'll try to manage at least 5 hours on each project, though many will need more.
I've put The Sparkling Stars quilt in 7 times, one for each of the 6 sets of blocks and 1 for the quilting and binding.
I've thrown in some other crafts too, as I already have the materials for them and it would be good to give them a go.
I have also included my one (somewhat cursed) UFO.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 16:57:56 PM by SewRuthieSews »

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 09:11:44 AM »
I’m going to try this.

My list of projects from 1 - 24 are more vague as I prefer to be more spontaneous when sewing and I honestly can’t think of 24 specific projects I want to sew at this moment in time but I’d like to join in, if this is allowed?

So apart from the dolls house I want to make for my granddaughter, everything else is either Clothes, P&Q, Accessory -  could be a bag as I have several bag patterns and a couple of bag UFO’s too or a purse. P&Q could include mug rugs, a door stop or cushion cover, etc.

Here’s my number grid…

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 09:28:38 AM by WildAtlanticWay »

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 09:22:26 AM »
Sheet 2.

Just realised that 6 and 10 are both Tidy. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I’ll swap one of them with something else.

There, 10 is now HOMEWARES so maybe a cushion cover as I’ll be showing some newbie sewers at the group how to make them.

Handy though as the sewing room does need a tidy after being used as a dumping ground over Christmas. 😂
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 10:43:48 AM by WildAtlanticWay »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023, 11:44:45 AM »
@WildAtlanticWay your layouts don't look like the original but I guess that doesn't matter.
As this is a Sewalong there is no enforcing of the 'rules' so as long as you know what you are doing that's cool.

I think the original video link got lost, can you share that again @WendyW ? Thanks

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2023, 12:22:23 PM »
@WildAtlanticWay your layouts don't look like the original but I guess that doesn't matter.
As this is a Sewalong there is no enforcing of the 'rules' so as long as you know what you are doing that's cool.
I think the original video link got lost, can you share that again @WendyW ? Thanks

:thumb:

I read number 2 and 3 of the above Instructions and thought I’d make it look like a Bingo card. That’s the first grid I posted. The second grid is the key to each number.  I’ve probably over complicated it. 🤦🏻‍♀️

WendyW

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 14:56:29 PM »
@WildAtlanticWay

You're right! I didn't notice that. I'll go find it again and fix/repost it.

Well that was easy to find! Thank goodness for a YouTube "history" list. It's fixed in the original post, and here it is again just for simplicity.  WIPGO How-to
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 14:59:57 PM by WendyW »

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2023, 09:41:01 AM »
Well less than a week to go and I've done the fly front zip, but not actually finished the trousers.
And I've made no progress at all on the Sparkling stars.
Oh well hopefully I will manage those things!

I think @WendyW will share the February WIPGO numbers later today (as I believe they come out on 25th of each month).
I wonder what they will be.

Pearl

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2023, 17:16:20 PM »
Well, the numbers have been drawn - 7 and 11.

For me this is 7 - the temperature quilt and 11 - knitted dragon.   I only need to finish sewing it up and stuff it. 

I have made progress on my Kantha thingy but number 10 hasn’t been touched yet.  Six days of January left, though.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2023, 17:22:59 PM »
Thanks for that @Pearl

Hmmm. In that case I have
7- Sparkling Stars Quilt
and
11- Sparkling Stars Quilt