The Sewing Place

Block of the month - July - Shimmer

Iminei

Re: Block of the month - July
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 14:42:25 PM »
Im afraid, lovely as they are the blues are too similar in colour. Use them by all means but be brave....Opposites attract!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2017, 15:10:10 PM »
What about these? I've only got a fat quarter each of the KF purples, will that be enough?

Syrinx

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 16:14:16 PM »
Well I shrank it down somewhat to make a cushion cover. And it looks ok. Not my best piecing but I'm having hand shakes today (possibly missed lunch... :angel:) and my maths was a bit off with the final sewn size of the HST blocks and the central one, but I fluffed it and is looks ok. Now to find a bit of batting and some left over cotton and I can work out how to quilt it and make it into a cushion cover.

There are a couple of my favourite batiks in it that I barely use and I don't have a lot of heavily patterned fabric, mine are mostly basics or amusing ones with cats and dinosaurs on ;) and I thought it would be good practice before attempting my FPP quilt and sewing my wool habit!

I also remembered why I don't use one of the fabrics very much as it is very slippy and stretchy for cotton...

Sandra

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2017, 18:03:07 PM »
That was quick Syrinx!

Gorgeous colours...Absolutely lovely. Probably my favourite colour combination.

I'm still no nearer choosing my fabrics to do mine.

Sandra.
xxx

wrenkins

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 18:23:57 PM »
I cut grass for 2 1/2 hours today picturing shimmer blocks and I'm no further on either Sandra. I know the colours I'd like but the patterns are confounding me.
I love choosing fabrics, it's the best bit, but If I need some green I buy some green. None of this green with a bit of purple orange and red!  :S
Boring snoring!
I want it to be FABLIOUS!!!  :P
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 18:32:14 PM »
Wow! You is on fire Syrinx!!!!

I think all the HST's are placed the right way round, but its difficult to see when the colours are similar...

Folks, I cannot emphasise enough how wonderful this block can be when the colours are opposites...

amusing ones with cats and dinosaurs

Those would probably work very well, I'm still trying to track down the fruit and veg quilt,
Fabrics which you wouldn't think using of but was beautiful!

Right back on the hunt for these pics....

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2017, 19:09:06 PM »
Here we are ... Shimmer Gallery Deluxe

https://goo.gl/photos/jBbCCYG9fp7yjFhS8

Click on the info icon for details..... enjoy!

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 19:22:30 PM »
  :loveit:  :loveit: :loveit:   WOW!!!!     :loveit: :loveit: :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

supergran

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2017, 20:09:21 PM »
 :loveit: :loveit: :loveit: Double WOW!!!  :loveit: :loveit: :loveit:
Nothing in my small stash will do, I'm off to get some large patterns and lots of colours.
Fantastic Iminei, how do you do it????

Syrinx

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2017, 20:15:51 PM »
Psst Imi, Lady Sew and Sew has some KF on sale!

Sandra

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2017, 20:48:03 PM »
The fruity one's lovely. I hadn't found that one when I was looking online....AND...I have some of those fruity fabrics...hmmmm??? I'll have to go back to rummage through my stash. I'll see them in a different way now.

Absolutely love the Kaffe Fassett one shown before the fruit one in your pictures. <3 I've had it popped up on a tab all day for inspiration.

Psst Imi, Lady Sew and Sew has some KF on sale!

ARGH!! Noooo. Syrinx...don't tell me that. I must NOT buy more fabric :fabric:....I must NOT buy more fabric :fabric:...etc

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2017, 20:50:28 PM »
Fantastic Iminei, how do you do it????

OMG girls  ... please do not be thinking that these are my quilts ....

just examples by other talented peeps of what can be done with these blocks

The bigger the pattern, the busier, the more shimmer

not that the plainer ones, showing the exquisite piecing are not beautiful either
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:22:47 AM by Iminei »

Sandra

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2017, 20:58:27 PM »

The bigger, the busier, the more shimmer

not that the plainer ones, showing the exquisite piecing are not beautiful either

I need the 'bigger, busier, more shimmer' bit, so I don't show how 'off' my piecing is.  ;)

Sandra.
xxx

supergran

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2017, 21:01:28 PM »
Well, thank god for that, you were making me feel totally inadequate!  :D
I know very well that you could have made all those gorgeous examples given time though. ;)

Sandra

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2017, 07:30:09 AM »
So much for my willpower... :fabric: :fabric:

I have found my fruity print fabrics. I have eight different ones.
I've laid them all out but I'm not convinced they're going to look as good as the fruit image in your shimmer gallery  -<

So then I wondered if I needed to make a larger block to get more of the effect and I did what I knew I shouldn't have done, and browsed fabrics with fruit prints. :S
So....I've found the loveliest banana fabric!...and raspberry. There's also some green or red apples which I quite like too.

Sandra.
xxx