The Sewing Place

Block of the month - July - Shimmer

Iminei

Re: Block of the month - July
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2017, 07:36:54 AM »
Im sooo excited...I always wanted to do a fruity one!!!!

Lay out your fabrics as shown here,

as many blocks as you have different fabrics, move them around so you have maximum impact and contrast

Look at this gorgeous example...

How many of these fabrics do you have ? I have the blueberry one ..... mmmmnnn Blueberries

See how well the busy prints contrast and shimmer against each other
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2017, 07:50:01 AM »
These are the fabrics I have (for now ;))

In no particular layout.

My daughter says to scrap the top left corner one...redcurrants with flowers scattered on it. It doesn't quite feel the same as the others....or does it matter? It's similar to the blueberries.

Sandra.
xxx

rubywishes

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »
I am seriously desperate to do this one...have loved it ever since seeing your avatar Im. I'm off to rummage. Excited, excited, excited!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:20:16 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2017, 11:47:59 AM »
No way would I attempt this block, good luck to you brave souls. I love the fruity fabric but never buy "novelty prints" as I know I wouldn't use them. ( the ones in my Linus quilt were given to me and have been hanging around for 4yrs )
Triumph of hope over experience :D

supergran

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2017, 11:57:59 AM »
Same as you, Lowena, I have never bought novelty prints and I haven't got much at home that is "busy" enough. I haven't got much of a stash to be honest, I tend to buy what I need when I need it, so just have a few bits of leftovers where I've miscalculated. I really want to do this block though. Deep sigh!

Iminei

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2017, 12:31:30 PM »
Those are fabulous Sandra!!!

Do not ditch any...

The one with the flowers, that your daughter dislikes, will tie in with the blue in the blueberries and the other blue toned one ....strawberry, blueberry, cherry mix...Superb!

Now you need to lay them out as I have but expand a out lil ....no red fabric to directly touch another red fabric.

Looking at it you need one more cool coloured print .... limes, lychees, pears ....

http://www.thelittlehouseofpatchwork.co.uk/ourshop/prod_3698749-Farmer-Johns-Market-Lemons.html

then you lay them out

hot, cool, hot
cool, hot, cool
 hot, cool, hot
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:42:18 PM by Iminei »

Sandra

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2017, 12:41:38 PM »
Thank you, Iminei :)

As I mentioned..... ><...I have some more fabrics to come in the post which I'll see how they go with the ones I have. I fancy trying the size of the glorious fruity one in your shimmer gallery....I think there's 13 main fabrics in that one and seeing as I'm over half way there with the 8 I've got....

I'll have to wait and see how they all look and try to imagine them put together properly.

Sandra.
xxx

Pearl

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2017, 17:39:45 PM »
I have spent far too long agonising over my fabric choice for this block so would appreciate some advice.  These are my options.  The three at the top are my favourites but which would go with them? 

TIA
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 17:41:59 PM by Pearl »

supergran

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2017, 20:58:10 PM »
You've got some lovely fabrics there Pearl. I wish I could help but I'm struggling as well and I've got fewer choices than you. It's getting the contrast right that's the hard bit, isn't it? I'm sure someone with a better eye for colour will be along soon.  :fabric:

Pearl

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2017, 21:13:03 PM »
Thanks, SG.  It's just like the Mystery Quilt, isn't it?  I think I'm going to go with two which are mainly blue, two that are mainly purple, then the yellow and the orange.   -<

I feel as if there is a secret that I haven't discovered yet. 

wrenkins

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2017, 21:15:22 PM »
One of the steps says "cut 4 x 6.5" x 6.5" squares for each fabric". I see 8 x 6.5" x 6.5" squares for the centre one. Am I wrong?
I know it changes from all yellow to yellow and green but I'm counting them all as yellow for the purposes of this question.  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Vegegrow

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2017, 21:28:06 PM »
Having not managed to do Junes BOM I spent a good hour today going through my 4 boxes of cotton fabrics and I really don't think I have anything suitable  for this one  ..  I have a busy month ahead 2 weddings and several sets of curtains plus a lady who saw the  scrap bears and wants 3...!! so I'll see what happens and if I manage to visit a patchwork emporium I'll see what drops in the basket 0_0
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lowena

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2017, 04:06:47 AM »
Definitely the yellow although it's a pity it isnt more patterned, the orange is a bit dark and also a bit plain so I'll have to have a ponder...... remember contrasts use the colour wheel  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Pearl

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2017, 06:26:28 AM »
Definitely the yellow although it's a pity it isnt more patterned, the orange is a bit dark and also a bit plain so I'll have to have a ponder...... remember contrasts use the colour wheel  :)

Thanks, Low.  My thinking was that the orange contrasts with the blue but I agree about the plainness.  I have a day off work today so I think I might just have a little wander to the local fabric shop.  No harm in looking.   ;)

Iminei

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2017, 06:49:24 AM »
Ladies, Pearl those are fabulous but unless you want to do a monochromatic scheme (all one colourway different values) you must contrast.

My favourites in your amazing selection are ......

Top two patterned ones
Purple flowers on the left as you look at the screen
The Purple Geometric and the Blue Peacock feathers

you will notice that all these are PATTERNED ... this is a block for patterns!

The red and yellow batiks  are lovely but will read as plain and you saw how that works in the Shimmer Gallery didn't you?

Now you could go OPPOSITE on the colourway wheel, lime through yellow to golden yellow, with a PATTERN...

or you could use the plain OPPOSITE (such as that yellow batik) and have a real FLASH of colour but it will be very eye-catching

Looking at your selection tells me you want to make a monochromatic or two colour block/quilt.

If monochromatic, look at the one in the Shimmer Gallery and see how she goes from light to dark (Ignore the khaki aberration 2/3rds down...that's a mistake) and try for some much lighter fabrics to go with those you already have.

https://goo.gl/photos/jBbCCYG9fp7yjFhS8
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:42:10 AM by Iminei »