The Sewing Place

Block of the month - July - Shimmer

Iminei

Re: Block of the month - July
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2017, 07:00:44 AM »
One of the steps says "cut 4 x 6.5" x 6.5" squares for each fabric". I see 8 x 6.5" x 6.5" squares for the centre one. Am I wrong?
I know it changes from all yellow to yellow and green but I'm counting them all as yellow for the purposes of this question. 

Wrenkie, Can you let me know which step you are talking about as I am a bit confused...

To make this block you need ...

five 8 1/2" squares (for the main squares) and
four 6" squares (for each 8 1/2" square) for the HST's

Where you see 8 squares, are you looking at the finished HST's,
which measure 2 1/2" each before they are sewn together????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2017, 07:34:17 AM »
Thanks, Imi.  I think I'm going to go back to the drawing board and have a little wander round the fabric shop.   -<

wrenkins

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2017, 08:12:00 AM »
I'm gettin' an ulcer.... -<  :\  :o  :S   :[  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Pearl

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2017, 08:17:58 AM »
I haven't slept.  |O :[ :o :S :( ><

But I have found this which I think may help.

http://beadlust.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/circle-dancers-shimmer-quilt.html

wrenkins

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2017, 08:50:20 AM »
Oh that's brilliant Pearl. I kept finding wee bits of that one but not the whole article.
I don't want you to think that I spent all day yesterday web wandering because I didn't...I absolutely didn't!!!!
I stopped for lunch... and Gaviscon.  :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

wrenkins

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2017, 08:52:03 AM »
I might do a toile!  0_0  0_0  0_0  0_0  8)

Lowena

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2017, 10:13:16 AM »
Repeat ad nauseam .......... bright, colour, pattern. All you lovely people with huges stashes should find it a doddle...me, not so much....but then I'm not doing it  :D Looking forward to your choices  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2017, 10:18:22 AM »
Yup you've found the right blog!

If it helps you ... great

Pattern + Contrast = Shimmer
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2017, 10:41:33 AM »
I don't have a stash. I'm forking out good money for this and having fun choosing.  :D

supergran

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2017, 13:31:39 PM »
I'm using some bits I have in the house already and treating this as a toile. If I ever decide to do a quilt in this pattern, and I'd love to do it, I would look at Philip Jacobs designs as well. I've had a look already on Lady Sew and Sew, and there are some fabulous designs. A bit pricey but totally gorgeous and I think they'd be wonderful in this block.

wrenkins

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2017, 19:16:05 PM »
I'm now officially making it up as I go along.  0_0
I've used my new glue pen, I've drawn all over the back of things with my vanishing pen and I still can't sew in straight lines. All the gear and no idea!!!!
WooHoo!! :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2017, 09:43:33 AM »
Like others I'm struggling with fabrics.  I'm trying to use up bits that I have got (and don't think I will want to use for something else) for BOMs.

I started off with one centre fabric (the mint green / white) and 4 different corner fabrics but that was pants.
I changed to 2 corner fabrics as in your example - that is the top picture below.  Although the green has a big pattern it only has green & white in it.

I've also done another one using one of the fabrics that I originally had for one of the 4 corners.  I see the problem is that, because they are from the same range they use the same colours so not enough contrast - and yes I can see that I have some of the HSTs the wrong way round on that one.

Anyway, I'm going with one of them so which is going to work better - opinions please.
(excuse the spotty ironing board cover which is a bit distracting.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 09:45:31 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2017, 10:32:23 AM »
Top one.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2017, 13:17:26 PM »
And just to be helpful I prefer the second. 0_0 It's gives more of the shimmer effect because the middle square is less defined. The top one works but is more contrasty because the centre reads as plain.
Any more for any more?  ;)

Sandra

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2017, 13:44:34 PM »
I prefer the look of the top one, but, as wrenkins says, the bottom one will give the shimmer better because the central square's a busier print.

My postie's been this morning with 3 more fabrics for my mad fruit shimmer block. Y'know, the one where I'm absolutely NOT going to buy any fabric for.
I now have banana, raspberries and red apple prints...The banana fabric is gorgeous  <3

Sandra.
xxx