The Sewing Place

Block of the month - July - Shimmer

wrenkins

Re: Block of the month - July
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2017, 17:53:53 PM »
Sounds like a rather delicious fruit salad may be on it's way.  :P
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

supergran

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2017, 19:39:17 PM »
Here's my effort, just finished. Bear in mind that I wouldn't have chosen these fabrics if I'd had any kind of stash, but they were all I had available, so consider it a toile.
The last sections were the hardest, I found and were put together in a jigsaw puzzle mode, moving HST's around until I thought they were in the right place. If you can spot any out of place, let me know. Like Jenny Doan, I'm angularly challenged.  :D

Sandra

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2017, 19:40:17 PM »
I've got all the fabrics laid out on the living room floor trying to see what looks best.

It looks such a mad mess but I'm going to stick with my plan and have faith in the fruity one in Iminei's shimmer gallery. I still have a strawberry one to come in the post. It's got quite a lot of green in it from the leaves, rather than more red, and I have a bid on a mixed fruit one on Ebay which I think should fit in ok.

Sandra.
xxx

Sandra

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2017, 19:42:31 PM »
Oh, Supergran...That's lovely. :)

The fabrics have worked really well.

Sandra.
xxx

Pearl

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2017, 19:57:53 PM »
That's lovely, SG. 

Looking at yours makes me think I haven't cut out enough squares.   :[

supergran

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2017, 15:13:37 PM »
Thanks girls, but it doesn't really have the shimmer effect, does it? I think it may be that the fabric designs aren't big and busy enough. I like the centre one, but the others are kind of meh!  :\

wrenkins

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2017, 15:40:03 PM »
Mine doesn't shimmer either as there isn't enough contrast but I knew that before I started. They're the only fabrics I had and it was good practice for the HSTs. I need all the practice I can get.  :S
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

supergran

« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2017, 16:39:04 PM »
Don't we all, Wrenkie, don't we all?  <3

Iminei

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2017, 06:15:38 AM »
Ladies, I have decided that this particular marathonsewalongathon should be rewarded.

Those of you who successfully complete a full years worth of the BOM, with a block of your own in each months category, will receive a Unique, Not to be Found Elsewhere other than The Sewing Place Prize.

You have until midnight on the 31st January to complete and post your blocks in their relevant threads.

Good Luck

Imi
xxx
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:02:20 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2017, 07:48:13 AM »
That's lovely, Iminei  :)...so far, so good. I've managed to keep up with each month.

I've been trying to get into patchwork and quilting over the past few years, but find it difficult to match complimentary fabrics. I agonise over not too much/not too bright/not too fussy/not too loud..... and then I have a go at this one. :S

It's bonkers. Completely mad. It's bright, fussy and very loud indeed.
It has looked awful as I've been cutting and stitching it, and I've wondered if it was a good idea, but I carried on because of the gorgeous fruity one in the shimmer gallery which worked so well.

So...this is where I'm at.

Everything's just laid out on the floor for now. It makes me smile when I look at it. :) Check out my magnificent banana fabric  ;) Love it.

I need to find something to fill in the gaps.
I'm thinking of green leaves, grass or green apples? I'll have to see what I can find.

Sandra.
xxx

wrenkins

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2017, 07:51:44 AM »
Fabulous Sandra. FAB-U-LUUUSSS DAHLING!!!!!
Well done you.  0_0

Ploshkin

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2017, 08:11:12 AM »
I'm no expert Sandra but I think you've nailed it there.
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2017, 08:49:22 AM »
...or you could trim them off the extra bits and use them for binding.  :)
...or if you have any of the centre one left you could use it with the adjacent eight inch squares to give you a shimmerey reddy outer area all the way round.
Can you tell mine didn't go so well?  :(  I just used the only fabrics I had and it looks okish but defo not contrasty enough.
I'm going to pretend I meant to do that...I was going for goth! :[

Lowena

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
That's lovely Sandra, and don't sell yourself short Wrenkie, I'm sure it's a great block. Forgot to say that yours is lovely too SG. :)
Wow... a real life prize, that's an incentive to stick with it  :ninja:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 09:51:25 AM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2017, 10:01:14 AM »
Oh WOW !!!! Sandra

That is Fandabadosie!!
Blooming brilliant!

I'm thinking of green leaves, grass or green apples? I'll have to see what I can find.

Why not a really dark pattern to make those fruits really P O P and S I N G !

or a Dark Plain ... as a frame
Remember to keep those points extra sharp and snappy tho' as plains really show up!

I would be proud as punch to have made that ... now come along and finish it so I can get it the  the BOM HOF ....July is remarkable empty at the mo...

and Ladies, Can you try and get as 'heads on' a pic of this particular block as possible for the HOF ???

Pinning  the block to the wall (or another hung quilt ) or having the camera directly above the block helps get a real heads on pic.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again