Lilian

Re: Block of the month - July
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2017, 21:45:58 PM »
Absolutely stunning block Sandra, it looks delicious!   :toast: :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Ploshkin

« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2017, 11:30:21 AM »
There are few certainties in life but one is that I will never be doing anything resembling a shimmer block again.  The men in white coats are just down the road.  That said, it has been a good exercise in how not to do many things.
I knew my choice of fabric was off once I had got going but it looks marginally better than I thought it would.  The green works ok but definitely not the magenta - that has too much of the same colours as the central fabric and the other lesson learnt there was not to use a directional print anywhere near triangles.  My brain nearly exploded trying to get the print running the same way & I could only do it by turning one of the corner blocks by 90 degrees and having the print in one corner running the opposite way from the other corner.

The other issue I had was after trimming the blocks of 4 HST squares.  There was a lot of trimmage to get them to 41/2" square which meant that I lost that excess bit that means that the points join nicely when you do the 1/4" seam.  I've ended up with my points truncated by 1/4" and can't work out where I went wrong.  Neither could I work out what I was supposed to put in the gaps on the 4 sides because there wasn't sufficient space for another row of HST squares.  So I just cut the corner squares down to get the thing finished.

Please may this reside in a dark recess of the BOMHOF well out of range of Sandra's lovely fruit cocktail.
Life's too short for ironing.

Pearl

« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2017, 12:50:43 PM »
Please may this reside in a dark recess of the BOMHOF well out of range of Sandra's lovely fruit cocktail.

I think that is what we are all aiming for, Ploshkin.  I might take a photo of mine now. 
I like your colours, very subtle.

Iminei

« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2017, 14:24:17 PM »
Awww Plosh, I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy/like the result.

I bet you anything though; that if you started again with a new set of fabrics and after re reading the tut, your next block would be much better not only in technique but also aesthetically for you.
'
That said your block isn't bad at all and for a first attempt you should be pleased with yourself.

So after all that off you go ....

Into the BOM HOF with you ....

:angel:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2017, 15:31:33 PM »
Oh, Ploshkin.....don't be so hard on yourself. I can see shimmer in it. Your block works.

If it had been made as a larger piece with more blocks it would have shimmered more.

I simply copied someone else's and even then, I doubted it was going to work. The prints mixed together looked...  >< -< :S :o....ugh!

Sandra.
xxx

wrenkins

« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2017, 18:13:17 PM »
I love it Plosh. It's fab!!  <3
Two of my fabrics were way too close in colour to get any shimshimeree at all but it was really good practice for triangles.
I'm amazed at how many "quilting" fabrics are directional. It's a pain in the bum. My SIL's runner nearly put me daft trying to get fabrics that didn't have baubles pointing upwards on the trees!!!!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Cheesecake

« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2017, 15:43:00 PM »
Hi, here is my block for this month.  Really love the fruity ones that people have done.

Been busy but decided to quickly fit it in before I start making a summery skirt but decided since it was quite a large block and I don't have much of this fabric left I would continue enlarging it into a small quilt and it's taken me all week.  Very glad I got it done.  :toast:

supergran

« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2017, 15:56:45 PM »
It's lovely cheesecake, and you've definitely got the shimmer effect.  :D

Lowena

« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2017, 15:58:40 PM »
That looks really nice  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2017, 16:39:20 PM »
Very nice with all those monchromatic colours ...

And so clever of you to use flying birds (and are there also schoaling fish ???) ...
Its like being caught up in a murmuration of starlings ... clever cheesecake!

Into The BOM HOF with you .....

:angel:

Iminei

« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2017, 16:46:50 PM »
Can I remind you peeps that I have decided to award a special The Sewing Place prize to anyone who completes all 12 Blocks Of the Month ....

You needn't have made them each month indeed you could, if you wish, spend Christmas catching up, as long as I receive pics of all 12 BOM's by midnight on 31st of December 2017.

I will post the email to submit your entries to later in the year.

Sandra

« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2017, 17:44:48 PM »
Cheesecake...That's a lovely block.

Great choice of fabrics.

Sandra.
xxx

Pearl

« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2017, 18:05:00 PM »
Can I remind you peeps that I have decided to award a special The Sewing Place prize to anyone who completes all 12 Blocks Of the Month ....

You needn't have made them each month indeed you could, if you wish, spend Christmas catching up, as long as I receive pics of all 12 BOM's by midnight on 31st of December 2017.

I will post the email to submit your entries to later in the year.

I was ridiculously excited to hear that there was going to be a prize, but then I remembered I didn't do June's block.  May have to rethink that decision.  (My teenage daughter hates it when school offers incentives but I am easily bought. :D :D)

Lovely block, Cheesecake. 

(I had to edit this post as I typed 'here' instead of 'hear'.  It's been a long term!)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 18:07:40 PM by Pearl »

Iminei

« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2017, 18:46:42 PM »
There is no problem when you do your blocks .... I do realise that people have lives (unlike me) ...

Just that you have all 12 blocks done, dusted, photographed (as squarely as you can please) and sent to me by midnight on 31st December 2017 !

Oh ... and the prize is unique to The Sewing Place!

Vegegrow

« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2017, 20:44:42 PM »
feeling guilty that I haven't done June or July ... busy time of year and August is always hectic  :[
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz