The Sewing Place

Block of the month - July - Shimmer

Iminei

Block of the month - July - Shimmer
« on: July 02, 2017, 08:00:09 AM »
Ladies, A day late, but I hope, worth waiting for

This 'block' is humungous! and packs a real punch when made as a quilt.

Patterns work well with this, Big patterns work well with this and distinct definition in colours

May I introduce you to Julys Sizzler

The Shimmer Block

https://goo.gl/photos/R6RTsj1pRNdXP7m37
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 13:43:23 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

Re: Block of the month - July
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 09:40:52 AM »
Wow, Iminei, I love this block. I don't think I've got enough suitable fabric at home so another trip to Kate's is called for. Oh dear, never mind.  0_0

maliw

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 10:07:36 AM »
Thank you, thank you, this is lovely. I may be some time and have to recheck the stash to see if I can get away from the fabrics I've been using so far, or something that blends. Oh I don't know, decisions, decisions.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 10:48:10 AM »
I AM SO EXCITED i AM SHOUTING!!!!!!
This morning I woke up with about 5 or 6 USOs (unstarted objects) and now I've just added another 1.
WooHoo!!!!!
What colours though?
Analysis paralysis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Vegegrow

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 11:10:04 AM »
Question .. so you used 6 different fabrics on your avatar block .. final pic?
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

supergran

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 16:30:02 PM »
I can only see 5. One in each corner and one in the middle. Could be just me though, it wouldn't be unheard of for me to count wrong!  :[

Vegegrow

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 17:57:18 PM »
I think there's a different blue fabric in the at the corners of the central square?
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 18:11:40 PM »
Ooooh hawkeye! You're right Vege. Maybe just because they're the same tone and fit in.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

supergran

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 20:42:14 PM »
yes, I see it now I've zoomed in. Maybe Imi ran out of the one that looks like a Kaffe Fassett and had to substitute the other blue? It works well, though, doesn't it?

If I'm lucky I might be able to make a start tomorrow. We've had a painter in doing the inside of the house and he will finish tomorrow, so once we get everything back where it belongs, I will be able to get into my sewing space again. Thank god! My machine is crying for me.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 20:47:09 PM by supergran »

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 07:21:06 AM »
I'm carp  :fish: at this! Every piece of fabric from my stash has been out and discarded twice. I'm no good at patterns and colours. I can only do one or the other. I'm so uptight about my matchy matchy and it drives me nuts!!!! The result is that almost all my fabrics read as plain and I want DRAMA DAHLING!!!!
DRAAAAMMAAAAA!  :ninja:

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 07:24:49 AM »
Yes Girls, that was my practice block and I had to fill it out....

so the 4 points of the pink KF block have a black/blue batik for the HST's...imagining a black/blue batik block going further out!

Its is a fabulous block and BIG .... measuring 24"!!!!! You don't need many of those to make a quilt!!

Sandra

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 09:44:22 AM »
I'm with Wrenkins on this.
Choosing the fabric's soooo difficult. I'm currently sat by a pile of 'possible' fabrics which may be used, although there are three other bags of fabrics for me to go through again later.

I don't think I've been aware of 'Shimmer' quilts before...( they're lovely aren't they?!)... so I've looked online for inspiration. It seems that Kaffe Fassett fabrics work extremely well on this block. As Iminei says, 'Big patterns work well'.
I'm desperately trying to find something from my stash. I must NOT buy more fabric....(Well. Not until the FoQ next month :))

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 09:46:28 AM »
Choosing the fabrics for any project is the hardest part ... remember all the hoo haa we had with the mystery quilt???

Persevere Mon Bravs, persevere

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 10:06:50 AM »
I love the choosing of fabrics and colours and I adore Kaffe Fassett fabrics when pattern is required.
Using a range such as KF's or batiks in particular, takes the angst out of choosing as they have several colours in them, making it easy to find matches / contrasts in other fabrics. Looking forward to seeing what you all come up with  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Syrinx

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 12:49:57 PM »
I've dug out 4 batiks but can't choose which goes where and which one to drop. I was hoping I had another suitable batik to do 5 fabrics, but my others are all very different values and darker blues. I could possibly fussy cut the bottom right into the green pebbles and purple pebbles to make a 5th colour...

Thoughts please my lovelies!