The Sewing Place

Help me with fabric choices please. I'm wick at this.

wrenkins

Help me with fabric choices please. I'm wick at this.
« on: July 03, 2017, 07:29:00 AM »
How do I get drama????
I desperately want to do July BOM and my little narrow scientific matchy matchy mind can't cope with choosing suitable fabrics.
I want DRAMA but I'm afraid we might be back to "clown vomit".
As I see it the options are as follows:-
Big colours...big patterns. C.V.
Small colours...big patterns. C.V.
Big colours...small patterns. No drama
Small colours...small patterns. Less Drama.
May I have some guidance please?
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

Re: Help me with fabric choices please. I'm wick at this.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 07:46:33 AM »
This block was designed for big bright patterns....not close colours for the individual blocks*
...opposites attract in this case!

Look at the colour wheel and choose to place orange and blue next to each other , lime and purple, turquoise and red

Ive seen this done with fruit and vegetable prints to great effect, KF is a godsend for this block but I have also seen very subtle versions using washed out rainy colours...I'll see if I can find some pics....

* If you are using more than one colour per block, then they have to blend together.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Syrinx

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 08:03:18 AM »
Batiks would also work well.

If you pick your middle fabric first then find the ones to match you'll be grand.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 10:14:20 AM »
I agree... think batiks ( when in doubt batiks can be relied upon to fit the bill ) or bright , busy patterns ( that's why Kaffe Fassett's fabrics look so good ) Steer clear of "safe" or muted hues. Purple / yellow or orange / blue would be good.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Syrinx

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 11:29:07 AM »
Having said pic your middle fabric first (like you should!) I've just uncovered the fabric hamper and gone rootling for some batiks I half remembered, I have done the opposite! I have 4 lovely batiks and need a middle. I have a blue left over block that is a textured basic that looks nice, but not sure if I have more, or if it will be a bit off as it's a textured basic rather than a pattern.

The father has decided to go to hobbycraft for some spray baste or double sided sticky tape for his picture mount boards so I've tagged along. I might see something nice (if overpriced). However that is only if I'm alive when we get there. He's driving the defender like a maniac and I'm getting thrown all over the place and we're lurching with every gear change...  :S

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 07:40:41 AM »
The Shimmer Gallery is now open ...

https://goo.gl/photos/jBbCCYG9fp7yjFhS8

As ever click on the i icon for descriptions

Batiks would also work well.
If you pick your middle fabric first then find the ones to match you'll be grand.

Batiks with Big Bold patterns will work ... this is not a block for blenders

Pick fabrics that CONTRAST not match !!!!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 07:45:01 AM by Iminei »

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 09:46:50 AM »
I do admire the skill that goes into these beautiful quilts but I find them really hard to look at..I think I'd get a migraine putting one together. :S

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 14:16:42 PM »
What about this one ????

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 14:22:48 PM »
That's my favourite.
I'm swithering between Sea Glass colours and Depths of Hell colours.
This is a great block Imi. Well done.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!