The Sewing Place

A few additions

Gazzalodi

A few additions
« on: March 03, 2017, 13:54:22 PM »
Not sure who all has made it over to here.  But I've been a bit on a pseudo-spring buying spree lately.  Thought I would post the new arrivals to my stack.

First up, was this guy.  A 1883 Singer Improved Family with the full length belt guard.

The last owner had parted out the treadle, grrr, so I didn't get the whole thing.  Will have to keep my eyes open for the right treadle now.

While looking for treadles for the 1883 I stumbled on this.  I'm not usually a fan for the 66s, but this one had near perfect decals and was only $50 US.

Gave the head a good scrubbing (the metal bits, not the decals) so now it looks a bit shinier.  The 8mm wide belt for the treadle makes life interesting.  Have to spend a bit more time doing the alignments to keep it from rubbing.

A little added bonus, in the spares in the drawers was one of the blue-green Simanco bobbin winder tires.  I'm easily thrilled.

Still keeping my eye open for an 1883 treadle, but a friend gave me a later one that I'll use temporarily after I get a top made for it.  We're up to six completed treadles and three sets of irons without tops along with four cabinets for electrics in the apartment now.  Time to look for a new place if I'm going to have room to put all the rest of the orphan heads in treadles or cabinets.

Put a lot more photos up on the blog in my profile if anyone wants to see more.

Cheers,
David
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 13:56:23 PM by Gazzalodi »

Catllar

Re: A few additions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 09:08:31 AM »
That is so pretty - do you use all these beauties or just stroke them?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

fajita

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 09:24:58 AM »
They do look lovely.

Somewhere in the depths of the loft I have an old Singer in a wooden case. I bought it from a junk shop when I was a newly wed (30+ years ago). I haven't looked at it for years, but you're making me tempted to dig it out. It's probably all rusty now.

Gazzalodi

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 13:19:16 PM »
That is so pretty - do you use all these beauties or just stroke them?

Oh yeah they all get used.  Even the 'modern' ones I have, get pulled out from time to time when I need a zigzag.  The oldest one I have is an 1879 New Family that I just finished making a Chemise for the wife on. 

I have a 201-2 converted to treadle that sees the most cloth ran through it at the moment.  Next busiest would be a 15-91.  But every machine in a cabinet gets some business every week or so. 

I have 6 functioning treadles and 4 cabinets with machines in them right now.  I have 4 sets of treadle irons I need to make tops for to mount machines.  Then I just need about 10 more cabinets/treadles to put my orphaned heads in.   And the space to organized them into.

Cheers,
David
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 13:21:09 PM by Gazzalodi »

Gazzalodi

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 13:24:45 PM »
...I haven't looked at it for years, but you're making me tempted to dig it out. It's probably all rusty now.

If you quilt a lot you might like the stitches of the old straight-stitch machines.  I know the latter zigzag machines I have (Singer 401&403) always have a little wobble in the stitches, whereas the model 15s Singer made create a dead straight stitch.

Vegegrow

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 13:24:55 PM »
I can see why you had to buy the 66 its so smart... you must have a big sewing room for this lot...
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Gazzalodi

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 13:41:03 PM »
Well, to be honest, the entire apartment we live in has become my sewing room.  I have 3 treadles and 2 cabinets in the living room.  2 treadles and 2 cabinets in the dining room.  And 1 treadle in the kitchen.  That's the 66-1.  It'll get moved into the dining room this weekend once we rearrange some furniture. 

We have started looking at houses.  Not only for the machines themselves but for cutting space.  What I make the most of is camping gear and I need space to lay out 4-5 yard lengths of fabric to work with on hiking hammocks and tents.

Vegegrow

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 13:55:42 PM »
Is that going to be difficult.. I don't know where you live in the States  but having space to layout fabric is usually not in an Estate Agent (Real Estate Agent?) Listing details.. I have a good size cutting out table 250cm x 140cm in a sewing room my problem is hanging length If I make a set of curtains for a customer over 250cm drop/long there is no where in my house I can hang them (to train the pleats) as our house is very old and has low beams and ceilings
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

NeilM

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 16:01:56 PM »
wow those are nice :)

Gazzalodi

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 16:34:21 PM »
Is that going to be difficult.. ...
We've been pre-screening places by using an agent that lists properties online with photographs, so we can see if the places she wants to show us have good space.  Our leading candidate right now is an 1826 house that had an attached horse barn with hay loft over it that was converted into a bedroom.  It's about 30ft x 20ft so would make a great sewing room with enough space left over to be a guest bedroom as well.

We are going to look at some other places tomorrow to see if it changes our feelings.  Though right now the wife is wavering back and forth on moving.  We want more space, but the little community in our apartment house is pretty tight and she's heartsick at the idea of leaving them.  So that will probably be the deciding factor on if we move or not.

@NeilM - Thanks :)

Cheers,
David

KayK

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 13:26:55 PM »
You're perfectly right about non straight stitch only machines making a little wobble in the straight stitches!  I thought I was being a typical nit picky Virgo, but my 201K and 100 year old 99 sew perfect, straight lines an no wobbly stitches! My 401G does a fabulous zig zag, and performs brilliantly with all its 'top hat' cams, but straight stitch? a bit disappointing to say the least (although I am trying to look for a straight stitch needle plate for it with not much luck.

And, as for the Pfaff Performance.....can it do perfect straight stitches?  errr.......no!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Lilian

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 23:17:24 PM »
That is such a beautifully decorated machine, I can't blame you for buying it.  My 201 has the just gold decals.  They are the best for straight stitch only.  Happy sewing! :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Cheesecake

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 14:36:07 PM »
Lovely machines, the 66 is stunning.  Do you get worried about scratching the very pretty good condition ones?  I get nervous using my machines where they look in such good condition and their not prettily decorated ones.

Gazzalodi

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 03:19:48 AM »
Do you get worried about scratching the very pretty good condition ones?

I avoid doing things with pins in them on machines with really good shape decals.  I also have several layers of wax on the beds as well so I don't dig in with rough fabric.  And since I prefer 15s and the 201 the 66s don't see a lot of action anyway. :)