The Sewing Place

My machine knitting revival New Hat

Celia

My machine knitting revival New Hat
« on: February 03, 2023, 11:15:08 AM »
I so enjoyed my knitting on my machine yesterday and the day before  that I feel quite inspired again but I need to make different smallish things at the moment.  So here is my first make of the new me.

It was knitted on an LK150 not a machine I have used that much in the past but great fun, it is in Drops Nepal.

The photo is as it’s finished it needs blocking and steaming yet.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 19:04:05 PM by Celia »

coffeeandcake

Re: My machine knitting revival
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 11:26:58 AM »
That's lovely @Celia.  It looks nice & toasty :D

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: My machine knitting revival
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 11:27:52 AM »
I really enjoyed making the cardigan I did last week, love to see how quickly it knits.  I used my faily new to me Brother 260 - I think I'd like try dk fairisle on it, although I love the speed of chunky knitting, even with hand-manipulated cables each of the fronts only took about 45 minutes.

Trouble is, I don't really wear cardis or jumpers...

Ploshkin

Re: My machine knitting revival New Hat
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 07:36:17 AM »
Drops Nepal is lovely and very warm.   I have 2 cardigans knitted in it and they happen to be in the same 2 colours that you have used for your hat. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Celia

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 10:23:58 AM »
Thank you, I am a bit the same @Bodgeitandscarper i do wear jumpers and cardigans but I do have a lot so I am looking into making some different things.
I saw some lovely knitted cushions recently done by hand but they would work well on the machine :thinking: not sure how the cat will feel about them.

@Ploshkin i like this yarn too but   I made a mistake this is actually Lima which is exactly the same but in DK weight, out of interest I have used this on the RH loom too, it weaves very well.

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 17:26:27 PM »
Is it worth investing in a knitting machine if one can’t stand the knitwear available in shops and can’t afford the luxury of cashmere garments? I am in great need of jumpers and cardigans. My hand knitting skills are below par. I can just about manage a scarf, a simple hat at a push, but definitely not garments. I expect it’s a steep learning curve.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2023, 17:32:16 PM »
Knitting machines are indeed a steep learning curve, and very different to hand knitting, but so fast.  One whizz across with the carriage and you've knitted a whole row!

Celia

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 20:00:06 PM »
Absolutely agree with @Bodgeitandscarper it is a steepish learning curve but so quick, it probably depends on the size of yarn you want to knit in too.

Puzzler

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2023, 08:38:58 AM »
Most likely fingering or DK as I prefer less bulky knits for jumpers. Aran at a push for cardigans.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2023, 08:55:30 AM »
@Puzzler Oddly, DK is one thickness that knitting machines don't do so well.  A standard gauge is great for 4 ply, and a chunky is great for aran and chunky. 

4 ply jumpers/cardis on a standard machine are a really lovely weight if you don't like thicker ones.

Celia

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2023, 10:17:10 AM »
@Puzzler           Actually I have a mid gauge which is brilliant with Dk but it’s not easy to find one with a ribber these days.
This is the one I have https://www.andeeknits.co.uk/silver-reed-lk150-knitting-machine-mid-gauge.html. I am quite happy to hand knit the ribs, if I use them.

My hat was knitted in DK so that might give you an idea.  If you want 4 ply/fingering then a standard gauge is what you want, these of course can be bought with a ribber.

There are lots of secondhand machines out there to buy but you do need to be careful as some of them are now very old and not in good condition now.

Puzzler

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2023, 10:33:44 AM »
Thank you @Bodgeitandscarper and @Celia.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2023, 12:06:47 PM »
Weirdly I have never got into machine knitting.  Mum did it for donkeys years.  Had several machines, ribbers, motors, software etc.  but I just took one look and thought aaaggghhh.  No I could never handle that!   Happy to do anything on a sewing machine, experiment and make all sorts.  But knitting machine nope!   :thinking: