The Sewing Place

Cot Quilt from Start to Finish for the New and the Nervous

Iminei

Cot Quilt from Start to Finish for the New and the Nervous
« on: July 03, 2017, 14:09:21 PM »
Ladies and Germs,

I have been asked a couple of times now, if I would post a blow by blow tut on how to make a simple cot quilt for those Nervous Newbies timidly tiptoeing into The Dark Side for the very first time .....

So Here 'tis ........ Hopefully you will sewalong with me

Day 1...

I want to create a cot quilt about 36 x 45 inches large, which is a nicely manageable size on most everyone's machine.

I have some fabulous curtain fabric from Sanderson featuring a treasure map that I know looks great fussy cut;

I picked this up as a remnant from my local Interior design shop, and am going to surround the feature squares with squares in coordinating and complimentary colours picked from the design.

Your Feature fabric could come from an old pair of curtains, a duvet, a shop remnant (like mine) or a specially chosen pictorial fabric. The complimentary fabrics were bought as FQ's so this needn't be an expensive make ...

Lets audition fabrics....

I'm looking for colours in the pictorial design...

A good tip is to look at the selvage of your Feature fabric. All the colours in that fabric will be marked as dots along the selvage enabling you to closely match your CF.....

The blue is quite grey in colour ...

There is no red in the print, its a coral colour, more a pinky red..

I'm trying also to use similar patterns in the coordinating fabric...

Small polka dots work well for this and wavy designs would look good as they would pick up the waves of the sea. I have some nice blue wavy design somewhere, you might see that appear later when we start cutting the squares.

Now to the Maths! (Brendaaaaa !!!)

From here on in I'm going to use FF for the fussy cut squares  and CF for the surrounding coordinating squares to (hopefully) avoid confusion.....

To get a good FF, looking at my fabric, I need a 6" (finished size) square .....

Your FF square may be smaller, depending on your design.

Lets look at the Rows (across the quilt) first.
We need to get to a measurement of 36".....

which divided by 6 (the size of my finished FF square) = 6 Rows,

which if we surrounded the FF's by CF of (whichever size, that multiplies into 6)  ...
2" (nah! too weeny) ... 3" or 6"

produces ....

CF, CF, CF, CF, CF, CF
CF, FF, CF, CF, FF, CF
CF, CF, CF, CF, CF, CF

would mean we would only have two FF across the width of the quilt .....

That could work out,  but what if we only had one set of CS between the FF ????

CF, CF, CF, CF, CF, CF
CF, FF, CF, FF, CF, FF
CF, CF, CF, CF, CF, CF

Then we could have 3 FF across but one of the FF would be on the edge of the quilt ... No good!

What about the outside CF being half sized, ie 3" wide by 6" deep ???

1/2CF, CF, CF, CF, CF, CF, 1/2CF
1/2CF, FF, CF, FF, CF, FF, 1/2CF

That could work...

Now lets look at the Columns (down the quilt)...
we are hoping to get a measurement of 45"

which divided by 6 = 42 (7 columns) or 48 (8 columns)
I think as this is a cot quilt .... less is more

So 6 rows by 7 columns .....

I think I will make the top and bottom squares half sized ie. 3" deep x 6" wide to tie up with the half sized sides as well,

Though this presents a problem with the placement of the FF squares....so maybe to leave the top and bottom rows as full sized squares ...

1/2CF, CF, CF, CF, CF. CF, 1/2CF
1/2CF, CF, CF, CF, CF. CF, 1/2CF

This will end up (hopefully) as 36" x 42" ....

Now remember that we have been working out our design using finished sizes...
When we get to cutting, we will be adding 1/2" on each of those sizes to account for the seam allowances.

I hope you are with me on this so far guys!

So for those of you wanting to break your Patchwork & Quilting duck and follow along,
I need you to get together your Feature Fabric and your Coordinating Fabrics
and meet me back here when you are done......

https://goo.gl/photos/TuYqVjsiQck2HQH88

Click on the first pic and bring up the destructions to the right hand side by clicking on the I Icon.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 15:51:10 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Syrinx

Re: Cot Quilt from Start to Finish for the New and the Nervous
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 16:30:47 PM »
Are you adding a border? As you will be losing more of the 1/2CF into the binding if not, which may look a tad off, unless you add an additional 1/2" to cope with the fabric covered by binding.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 19:29:14 PM by Syrinx »

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 19:16:47 PM »
Possibly ... Thank you for thinking on your feet for me!

Syrinx

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 19:31:35 PM »
No worries ;) it's something I forget a lot when doing plans. All beautifully worked out block dimensions and then I go to work out the amount of binding I need and I remember I have forgotten to do the border! Also I love FMQing the borders ;) but you're not such a fan of FMQ ;) Maybe I should do a FMQ design block of the month to get you to join the Even Darker Side!

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 13:42:16 PM »
Day 2 ...

Yesterday I drew up my layout so know exactly how many 1/2 squares and full squares of both FF and CF I need.

Today I have been cutting my fabrics;

We are working with 6" finished squares so need to cut them at 6 1/2".

Cut a 6 1/2" wide strip from your FQ or WoF and cut into 6 1/2" squares...
Remember to cut a few 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" * half squares for the edges too.
If you are using a directional print, make sure you cut the 1/2 squares the way you want the print to run

* If you do not want to add an additional border to attach the binding too, as explained by Syrinx below, cut these side half squares 3 3/4" x 6 1/2" (if you are super accurate at piecing) or 4" x 6 1/2".

I have cut much more than I need for my layout, so I have plenty of options, and could If I wanted make a second quilt.

I have fussy cut the FF and have decided I want the arranged like this.....

I like the ships pointing into the centre at the top and bottom sides and the compass in the middle of it all.

So now to arrange the CF around the FF .... This can only be done by trial and error;
Pick up on a colour in your FF, making sure no two colours are touching and there is a good mix of light and dark.

Take a pic of your design and study it.
Its a very good way to spot something you have missed when looking at the design straight on...

You can see I have had to overlap the squares to keep the layout on the table.

When I am happy with it, which I'm not yet..........I will stack the squares in order, with post it notes marking the rows.

I have it as my screen saver at the moment so I can look at it through the day and muse on it...

Alternatively print a colour (or B&W if you are worried about values) copy of it and stick it on the wall/fridge/laptop so you can pass by and look at it anew...you will soon see what works and what is wrong!

Good Luck!

Join me tomorrow for Day 3,
Chain piecing the squares and assembling the top IF I am happy with the layout of course!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 17:56:42 PM by Iminei »

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 15:01:03 PM »
Thanks for this, Imi. I am not a quilter and probably never will be, although I am in awe of the gorgeous works of art produced on the dark side. This does look like something I might try some time, perhaps to use up some large leftovers. I wouldn't have had a clue where to start and this step-by-step guide is great.

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 17:54:29 PM »
Day 3 (in the Big brother house...)

Today I decided on a layout.

As most of you know I don't really do random so there is a method in the madness there somewhere.
I stacked them in rows, and used post it notes to keep those in order as i chain pieced the rows.

I decided to try and give myself a bit more wiggle room for the Syrinx conundrum (see below) and staggered the half sized side blocks an eighth of an inch in from the full sized blocks. I will see if it has worked when I come to attach the binding.

I pressed the seams of the sewn rows alternately in the hope that they will nest together as I need to match the squares neatly. This too allows me to practice the Perfect Points Everytime method to great effect on most of the seams ...

http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,12.0.html

you will not be able to do this on all of them and then pins are your friends.

So at the end of Day 3, I have a quilt top finished, ready for layering ....

Or do I ???
I have just noticed, a couple of hours after finishing and a glass of wine down, that I have made a mistake   D'OH!!!

Oh well, nothing is happening tonight....

Fiddlededee .....Tomorrow is another day

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 19:25:08 PM »
I have just noticed, a couple of hours after finishing and a glass of wine down, that I have made a mistake   D'OH!!!
Aw keek. Right near the middle too!
Two minutes'll unpick it. You had it right in the first lay out but it's nice to know the experts have oopsies too. (says the dope who sat and unpicked 32 stupid little triangles that had got themselves sewn the wrong way round cos someone was doing it from memory...or lack of it)!   :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 21:22:36 PM »
Nowhere near an expert Wrenkie..... read my tagline!

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 23:56:55 PM »
Perhaps the wavy lines made you seasick  :D What a shame but good job you noticed  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 08:41:49 AM »
Day 4

Fixed!

Now waiting for our local Interior design shop to open so I can acquire some of their excellent curtain lining for the backing!

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 09:45:51 AM »
I love that pixelly print. I was in two minds about ordering it but now I think I will. Oh goody...more green.  :|
I love your treasure map fabric.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 18:22:43 PM »
Day 4 (cont.)

I hied me down to my local interior Design shop early doors and was rewarded by a couple of cot quilt sized remnants of the lining I was seeking; £2.00 for 2, the lil minx Annika is just goading me to make another isn't she ?!

By lunchtime the quilt was layered and as I like to let it rest, settle and set, I turned my hands to constructing and attaching a hanging sleeve for the last quilt that I have entered to the FoQ this year. That's all done and I now feel very pleased with myself.

Tomorrow I will quilt! I have been running my finger over the layered quilt, tracing designs that whilst simple might be nice.

More here .....  https://goo.gl/photos/TuYqVjsiQck2HQH88
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:25:19 AM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 19:33:41 PM »
Very nice indeed  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Zigzag

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 08:50:35 AM »
Your quilt is absolutely fabulous.  After I get what"s needed to start quilting, me will have a try to make a cot quilt...