The Sewing Place

Cot Quilt from Start to Finish for the New and the Nervous

Iminei

Re: Cot Quilt from Start to Finish for the New and the Nervous
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 19:18:43 PM »
Day 5 (and I've gone seriously off piste)

Time to quilt!

The first thing I did, after pressing yet again, were the diagonal, vertical and horizontal lines!
These stabilise the quilt and give me freedom to start where I will

Which as it happened was echoing the design of the compass right in the middle of the quilt using my very favourite variegated thread, YLI (did you know for ages I thought it was called YOU then I got glasses!!) Colour: Great Barrier Reef.

and then, I'm very much afraid, I went seriously off piste!

The idea was simple quilting that would be quick and effective to do, we should be ready to bind tomorrow ...
but then I thought about that cute lil octapussy in the feature fabric and had a draw....

and then I doodled with thread...

this lead, obviously to a dolphin,

and then to some angelfish (insert madly blushing smilie here)

I just need one top of the sea idea for the top right hand corner and I can add some waves and we are done!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 19:53:33 PM »
Ooooh!  They are wonderful!   <3 <3 <3
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Zigzag

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 22:08:57 PM »
Iminei you are a talented artist.  Awesome work  <3

Sewingsue

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 22:24:08 PM »
WOW  <3
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lilian

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 23:28:28 PM »
Wow Imi!  That's stunning work  :)  :toast:  When I am ready I will be having a dabble at FMQ   :S.
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2017, 07:26:28 AM »
Day 6 ... A day of indecision

No, No, No   :o ... not FMQ (shudders at the very thought) WFQ ....

But for the purposes of the Tut I should have done some simple diagonal crosses through the blocks. Nice, simple and quick.

Now I need a top of the sea idea for that last corner of the quilt !?!?

Ideas...Can't be the boat as it would be too big relative to the size of the dolphin
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 16:55:00 PM by Iminei »

Syrinx

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2017, 08:21:11 AM »
Albatross?

;)

wrenkins

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2017, 08:40:47 AM »
Whale breaching or whale tail???
https://www.shutterstock.com/search/whale+tail
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2017, 11:10:45 AM »
Seagull?

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2017, 14:28:44 PM »
Day 6 ... A day of Indecision (cont)

Yes I'm veering toward a seagull but need to get the right silhouette .... skimming the waves.
Do they catch fish from the sea, I suppose they must. They can't all follow fishing boats around. waiting for the rejects.

So a good line drawing of a seagull catching a fish from the surf ... not too much to ask? Surely??

Whale or even a whale's tail too big and so, I fear, is an albatross.

This has been immense fun and not as time consuming as I thought, if you don't count the hoo hahing about the design, tho' admittedly if I had stuck to the brief, we would be done by now!

Here's where we are at ...

Top ...

Bottom

Come to think of it I don't think there is enough room for a diving, or otherwise Seagull ... D'Oh!

Any other ideas suggestions ?? Fire away!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 16:55:24 PM by Iminei »

Acorn

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2017, 15:05:52 PM »
Clouds?  A rainbow?  Rain!!?

Vegegrow

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2017, 15:28:10 PM »
try googling line drawing of seagull.. several come up
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Snowgoose

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2017, 17:29:10 PM »
A mermaid  :D

Gorgeous quilt!

Please can I ask a silly question? Do you quilt from the plain side, and is your bobbin thread the same as the top thread?  Two silly question! :|  Sorry  8)

Zigzag

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2017, 19:07:42 PM »
A seahorse  :thread:

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2017, 06:35:07 AM »
Day 7 ..... Early riser

Please can I ask a silly question? Do you quilt from the plain side, and is your bobbin thread the same as the top thread?

Two questions (no Q's are silly) Several answers.....

When I echoed(ish) the form of the compass, I worked from the front marking halfway (3") along each of the squares, stitching to the corners and then to the next midpoint. I had the variegated in the top spool, I wanted the design to show on the  top and as I was stitching on the front, knew I was only hitting the Coordinating fabric, and cream thread in the bobbin.

When I quilted the Octapussy, Dolphin, Angelfish (in that order) I made templates, decided where I wanted them on the front, flipped the quilt over, placed the templates and started to stitch ..... so working on the back.
I had the variegated as the top thread and cream thread in the bobbin, as I didn't want lines of variegated over the feature squares on the front.

By the time I stitched the Starfish I just drew points along the outline of where I wanted it to be, sort of laying on the sea bed and joined the dots as I stitched again with variegated thread in the top and cream in the bobbin.

When it came to the waves, I stitched the first line on the front, stitching between two measured marks on either side of the quilt as I wanted to keep the line of the waves straight; I then flipped the quilt over and stitched the rest of the waves from the back of the quilt, feeding them under the sea-life when and where required by stopping the stitching and tying off the threads to be buried later. I used cream thread both sides.

I think I'm going to quilt sun-rays at the top. There is only about 6" of height to fill so a bit limiting.

Right I'm back from the coal face and the sky has been filled with rays of sunshine in Yellow variegated, Silvery Gold and bright Gold metallic!

Hard  to see in a pic, but you can zooooooom in in my Picassa album to catch the glint of gold

https://goo.gl/photos/TuYqVjsiQck2HQH88

The quilt has been trimmed and has come out at 36 1/2" x 41 3/4" and I have 3 and 3/8 width of the half side blocks ...
Excellent.

As I cut through all my anchored quilt threads, the first thing I have done is stitch about a 1/4" line of stitching right the way around the perimeter to hold those stitches in place.

So now to choose the binding ... I think a dark, but a dark what ????

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 16:55:55 PM by Iminei »