The Sewing Place

Cot Quilt from Start to Finish for the New and the Nervous

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Cot Quilt from Start to Finish for the New and the Nervous
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2017, 10:13:55 AM »
A dark blue to make the FF squares stand out more? 
Oh dear, I've just realised I'm reading about quilterisering, NO, I won't be doing any myself!  Whilst I admire the ones other people make, there is no room in my house for them - I actually like plainer colours.  All those different colours would really mess with my OCD, I'd have had to just use blues for the CF squares, and they'd have to symmetrical!  And possibly a dark red for the border then, although that's probably one colour too many for me!
Anyway, ignore me, this is a great tutorial from a great quilterist  :)

maliw

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2017, 10:27:40 AM »
Just had a look at the photos, the quilt is lovely. I would probably go for blue for the binding but that is my favourite colour. I think you could pick out any of the colours from the quilt and go for a dark version. Have you got any fabrics in mind? Lay them at the sides and see which looks the best.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

fajita

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2017, 19:35:36 PM »
The red polka would look good as a binding.
Lovely quilt.

Snowgoose

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2017, 15:39:01 PM »
Thank you for explaining how it was quilted, you must have amazing concentration and patience  :) I always thought quilting had to be a continuous thread, but I love that you can quilt with standalone lovelies like your dolphin and octopus  :)

I think a dark blue binding would be nice - the colour of the sea  :flower:

Could this follow-along be pinned so it doesn't get lost in the Dark Side?  Would love to try this later in the year  8)

Iminei

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2017, 16:51:23 PM »
Thx SG, It wasn't meant to be quilted like this at all...
I was thinking of simple (and highly effective) crossed through squares but came all over artistic.

and its really easy to do ...template , s l o o o w speed and your'e there!

Try a simple shape ... a letter, number, fish shape, heart, horse ...anything ..... make a template, pin and sew....

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 18:14:17 PM »
Imi, do you remember my machine and its penchant for sewing quickly even on the slowest setting? I tried with a template and it isn't very accurate on curves as it won't slow down  :( Could I spray baste and pin the template and sew by hand do you think, or would it look less effective?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Deafoldbat

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 19:15:26 PM »
Could I spray baste and pin the template and sew by hand do you think

Why pin the template? Make it from card and just draw round it. Why wouldn't it look okay done by hand? Are you sure you haven't got a hat?  ;)

Lowena

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2017, 19:20:11 PM »
Oh yeah.. I never thought of drawing round it.... DOH!!! No hat, honestly DOB, but my hair needs colouring cos my roots are showing  :D :D

Iminei

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2017, 07:12:32 AM »
Could I spray baste and pin the template

Defo don't SB, Low

... but of course you can quilt by hand; just pin the template down or draw round it with whichever removable pen/chalk/pencil you like and stitch ... would look excellent me thinks.

I'm surprised your super duper machine doesn't have a speed limiter ...seems a very good idea and one of the reasons I so love the Janomes ... even the cheaper machines have them.

twopence

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2017, 08:16:21 AM »
I don't like the navy but like the other three against it but think I would choose the two in the bottom picture.

Kad

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2017, 08:36:07 AM »
Another option is to use some/ all of your fabrics in the binding.

If you cut random lengths and join them with a 45° seam , this minimises bulk and allows your eyes to merge the fabrics as you see the quilt. I've used this method successfully both when I couldn't decide which binding to do and when I've been short of fabric due to miscalculation/over optimism. My home page shows some of the results, esp the 'fishy quilt' when I'd forgotten about the fabric needed for binding completely :|
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Lowena

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2017, 09:10:07 AM »
It has got a speed limiter Imi, if you remember we tried it when you were showing me machine applique....you said it still went too fast even on the lowest setting  :D
P.S. very bottom choice for binding, although personally I always like to use plain black or navy  :)

Iminei

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2017, 09:26:03 AM »
or

?????

Another option is to use some/ all of your fabrics in the binding

Done that many times, but don't have the fabrics (seriously  those FQs are all but gone now) or inclination at the moment Im afraid.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:11:32 AM by Iminei »

Snowgoose

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2017, 10:46:25 AM »
 :loveit: the last fabric - is it butterfly wings?  Gorgeous!  Fabric envy again  :D

Lowena

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2017, 13:18:01 PM »
Ooh, yes, deffo the final fabric for me  <3