The Sewing Place

Lovely garden ornament!

LeilaMay

Lovely garden ornament!
« on: September 13, 2018, 16:00:18 PM »
Picked up today for a £5 from our local junk shop, a 1910 15k-30 that is really beyond saving!
I believe the presser foot is a roller foot for leather, which would make sense round here, and I might try to remove the foot before I consign her to gently decay in a sunny corner I think. She doesn't "sit flat" so I can't use her or a doorstop, and it really is too far gone to try and bring back, but she will have a nice time here  :)

Leila  :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 16:17:57 PM by LeilaMay »

Surest1tch

Re: Lovely garden ornament!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 11:32:56 AM »
It breaks my heart to see lovely old machines neglected like that

arrow

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 11:58:34 AM »
It's odd how the old straight stitchers recover from neglect even when they look terrible. The rust comes off with a bit of work, plates and spool pins shine up acceptable even if the nickle or chrome is gone. They can be replaced. Some do a total refinish in cases like this, and there are methods of restoring very worn finishes. It's easier to get one in good condtion though. Take a  look at this recent thread I came across a few days ago. I don't blame you though, too much rust and I know it will be a lot of work before I can get it nice enough again. Some treadlers are looking for an early model with the extra large like that.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:05:07 PM by arrow »

LeilaMay

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 12:19:23 PM »
It is indeed sad - it has wisps of loft insulation in it, so I guess it's been stored in a loft for the last few years, and not used for a long time. There's a huge amount of rust, and I'm presuming the nickel plating is gone where it's now rust covered. There's not even a possibility of saving it for charity - it has no case and has never had a handle, quite apart from the condition  :(
It's not a rare machine, nor anymore in good condition, so I've taken of the roller foot, and she can decay gently amid the flowers, getting greetings every time i go outside. I honestly have no room in the house, but at least it's not just "gone for scrap" which is what the junk man used to do to them all - she will retain her shape and be a delight to the eye.

You have to remember who many millions of machine Singer made - and accept you can't save them all.

arrow

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 12:29:15 PM »
Model 15s are still relatively numerous. To save one machine we often end up buying piece from another parted up machine, so our fix up projects need to be worth it.  My worry is that a lot of old machines end up as metal scrap every year.

LeilaMay

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 12:45:20 PM »
Yes I agree with you Arrow - the junk man routinely scraps machines without ever having them in the shop - he has no idea of age, condition, type, it's just scrap metal. At least now maybe he'll give them a few weeks grace in the back room of the shop, and some worthwhile things might be saved.

I did take the plate in and photograph it, and then polished a corner, so you can see how deeply rusted it is  :(