The Sewing Place

The Madness... 95K40

Roger

The Madness... 95K40
« on: July 03, 2017, 19:59:44 PM »
 :vintage: :vintage: :vintage:
 :S >< :S :loveit:
The madness came upon me at the point the mrs said 'what would you like for your B'day/xmas?
 :| >:) :devil:
How about a 95K?
 :[ :S (and a roll of eyes) 'do you really need/want it?'

No but it would be fun!!!! :angel:

And after much research... early 95s (95k10 and similar) have a timing belt which is expensive... I found out that the 95k40 and higher have geared timing... far more future proof and No reverse...

Then came the inevitable eBay rummage... and nearly going for a couple, one expensive and one a restoration project. I found a really nice condition one on gumtree not too far away! 1/2 hour before I was going to commit to a bid :)

One owner, it doesn't look worn except on the throat plate, here's hoping for a bobbin and case!

Inevitably more to follow when I actually get it... I'm paying for it tonight.

I'm still not entirely sure what these machines will sew, they're described as suitable for light to medium, ismacs suggests cloaks (heavy felt) and canvas, others say possibly tarps and upholstery leather... one person said 10mm of leather... but that seems a bit too keen!

Guess we'll see!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:11:08 AM by Roger »
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Madame Cholet

Re: The Madness... 95K40
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 20:19:58 PM »
Wow... please keep us updated!
 :loveit:
 :vintage:

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 06:54:12 AM »
Good Luck! but where are the pics ????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Roger

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 09:59:55 AM »
Hi Iminei,

Here's a couple of gumtree pics... it still hasn't arrived yet, I've had to ask a courier to collect it.

Interestingly parts for this machine seem to be plentiful and cheap, except needles and there only seems to be around 10 varieties 80-160, jersey point and sharp. I'm quite surprised there isn't more styles. It uses an 88x1

Roger
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 13:44:02 PM »
Wow Roger, that's a nice one.  I love the table!!  (I want that table!)  :devil:.  I went to a new sewing shop at the weekend and they had a lovely 99k in the window, I've never seen one, it was so dinky and cute.  Good luck and have fun  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 15:16:46 PM »
Speaking as a complete novice here... how do you know what model a vintage Singer is?  I was in a charity shop yesterday and they had two - one back and gold, and the other the light brown colour, and I couldn't see any way of identifying the models.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

arrow

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 15:26:18 PM »
That's the most intersting machine Roger, I'll bet you could hem about 3000 meters of cutain in no time ;- ) You have to let us know how it is to work with.

Roger

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 15:31:28 PM »
That's the most intersting machine Roger, I'll bet you could hem about 3000 meters of cutain in no time ;- ) You have to let us know how it is to work with.

yep.... it looks pretty powerful and pretty fast... allegedly has a nice stitch too... and was a really cheap way to get into trying an industrial :)

Roger

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 15:42:50 PM »
Speaking as a complete novice here... how do you know what model a vintage Singer is?  I was in a charity shop yesterday and they had two - one back and gold, and the other the light brown colour, and I couldn't see any way of identifying the models.

I'll maybe do a tutorial on this... might take a while. Part of it is experience, and part is that they all have distinct characteristics, later singers also have a small brass plate on the front next to the logo with the model number. like the pic below. gumtree pics can be a league of their own tho... and recognising silhouettes and odd corners of machines can be quite fun :)

LeilaMay

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 15:49:42 PM »
Nice! I have no more room (perhaps that's just as well)

LeilaMay

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 15:53:37 PM »

Hi Acorn - early Singers didn't have their model numbers on them. It'ss a bit of learning what each one was like.
But they should have their serial numbers, and using this site
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/serial-numbers/singer-sewing-machine-serial-number-database.html
you may be able to look up the serial number and find out what model it is.

Sometimes you will be able to tell the model by it's shape and particular features - take a look at some of these:
http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/gallery_machines/

It's fun learning :)

Roger

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 15:56:42 PM »
that reminds me:
http://vssmb.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/visual-guide-to-identifying-singers.html

my favourite article on this topic :)

arrow

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 15:59:00 PM »
Speaking as a complete novice here... how do you know what model a vintage Singer is?

If you have narrowed it down to Singer; black and beige domestic models, it should be manageable for a beginner ;- )

Look at the bobbin plate; if there are two covers crossing the entire bed of the machine it's a vertical shuttle machine.  It's usually either a 28/27 or a 127/128. The older pre 1900 models in this group are Singer 12 and VS1 and VS2, which developed into the 27 and 28, and ended up as 127 and 128. We sort of pair up model 27 and 28 because they are identical except the 28 is 3/4 size of the 27. It's equivalent with  127 and 128.  These are also called long bobbin  machines, and are easily identified by the bobbin winder too.

If the bobbin cover is at the left short side of the machine, it's a round bobbin machine. Singer's first was model 15, and there are lots of version of this. It has a bobbin case you take out very much like Berninas CB hook and bobbin case. There are lots of sub version of this model, with and with out stitch length lever and reverse stitching.

In 1900 Singer introduced their first drop-in (horizontal) bobbin case (some call it basket, and insist it's not a case), model 66. This model is still one of the nice and easy to use; needles and accessories are standard and in plenty. There is a 3/4 size version of it; model 99. In 1928 (I think, some sources date it to around 1930) model 201 was introduced; it has a rotary hook and race, with the same bobbins as the 66. This is a straight stitcher and was in production until the early 1960s, and if you can recoginse the stitch length lever and the top tensioner it's easy to identify.

In the early to mid 1950 Singer introduced the beige color, and two tone beige-brown. Model 201 now came in a beige aluminium cast version given the number 201K23. Model 99 suddenly came in a beige version, and new look; it was given a new  model number 185. By the 50s swing arm zigzaggers became more common, 306 is one of the early ones, 319/320 the later 401, 411G is held in high regard by many. With the zigzagers freearm version turn up.

I might have flooded you with simplified info, but in general, take a look at the bobbin case, shape of bobbin plate and position of the top tension mechanism. All the old models went through slight changes and updates as the decades went by, but in general kept their main build and internal parts. The black japanned machines came in all sort of decals and decors, so keep an eye on other details to identify.. Over all body shape is of course a good indicator too.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 16:02:20 PM by arrow »

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 17:27:03 PM »
I love the table!!  (I want that table!)

Me too... The ironing board in the corner is losing its charm....

I'm hoping maybe that Imself, when he is at the FoQ with Sakars hubby, will take an interest in the boys bits ie Furniture, anything with wires, (lights etc) Oh and of course machines have wires too don't they ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 17:51:04 PM »
Awww lush! I have a vintage sewing machine!  :toast:
Mine's on LM's link.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!