The Sewing Place

repairing a swiss zigzagger

arrow

repairing a swiss zigzagger
« on: July 06, 2017, 13:15:32 PM »
I have a Swiss zigzagger with a broken plastic part. The screw on the side that takes the stitch cam has a plastic cap and it's broken in two. It will zigzagg but when the plastic comes out of alignment it interfers with another part and it stops the sideways movements.

I shall try and glue it back together, maybe someone out there has a zigzagger for "repair or parts" out there? I guess it's the plastic caps on the two setting screws that will crack on this attachment. Why oh why did they invent plastic; and why did they start to think implementing it in all kinds of ways were modern and progressive  -<
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 00:40:27 AM by arrow »

arrow

Re: repairing a swiss zigzagger
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 21:37:24 PM »
I pieced it back together with super glue, and it seems to hold up fine. It will never be one of those high priced gems of accessories but I think it will last and do the job equally as well as any undamaged item. Super glue can easily get a bit messy because it's very liquid, thin like water. I might try and go over with some acetone to clean up around the joint.

This is my second swiss zigzagger, and came with a manual, a box four out of originally five cams and the feed dog cover plate. My other zigzagger is identical, but came with ten cams, missing a manual but otherwise no difference.

The Swiss zigzagger works well, if you depen on your old straight stitcher it's worth seeking one out, they turn up now and then. It's one of the best even feed attachments for the old straight stitchers, and that's probably its' main advantage for those who use it.  I will likely keep my eye out for these until I have a complete set in pristine condition.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 00:43:14 AM by arrow »

Madame Cholet

Re: repairing a swiss zigzagger
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 00:34:56 AM »
I am so happy to hear that you have fixed your zigzagger Arrow  :)

I have had success in the past using a 'plastic weld' glue to repair broken plastic. I used it on my Bernina 807 which had a broken plastic plate - the thin, flat red-coloured plate that sits in between the motor and the machine body. I first tried super glue but the plate had broken into several pieces and came apart again along the glue joins when I tried to push it back into place.

It is not really a glue as such, rather a chemical concoction which actually melts the edges of the plastic pieces and causes them to 'weld' back together into one unbroken piece. I know little of such things but I think I am right in saying that it is the same type of glue used by hobbyists who build plastic models of planes, etc. I think it is only usable on certain types of plastic though.