The Sewing Place

Steel for tutu hoop

Heikedog

Steel for tutu hoop
« on: July 15, 2017, 17:39:48 PM »
I ordered 1/2" (12.7mm) plastic-coated steel tutu hooping from Tutu.com.  It feels very heavy.  Is this the size you all are using?  Tutu.com used to have a another product that could be cut in half horizontally, and it was perfect for pre-teen / young teen classical tutus.  I'm worried this 1/2" stuff will be too heavy, but Tutu.com assured me it was all they're using these days.  Anyone have personal experience with 1/2" steel?

Thanks.

Daisy Jane

Re: Steel for tutu hoop
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 19:17:22 PM »
Hi Heikedog,
There is a new supplier of the tutu hoop you are looking for. They are based in the US so you should be able to get hold of some. They are called HoopWire.com   I have been using a 7.5mm metal hoop covered in plastic which I get from Vena Cava here in the UK but am hoping to get hold of this new hooping in the near future as I believe its the same as the hooping that was discontinued some time ago.
Lover of tutus and all things sparkly. ......and the odd glass of the red stuff.

Heikedog

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 02:50:14 AM »
Thank you, Daisy Jane!

I looked at the Hoopwire.com website, and it looks exactly like the product I used to buy!

Lesley
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:52:16 AM by Heikedog »

Thecostumelady

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 15:42:43 PM »
I don't use steel boning, I use Trenslo polyester boning (12mm).  It does the job perfectly and is much lighter than steel boning. Bit like rigelene but its smooth so slides through the casing very easily.  It cuts with ordinary kitchen scissors and I then round off the ends and smooth off with a heavy duty nail file.  I overlap the ends by about 8" and wrap the join with masking tape.  I have never had a problem with it or a complaint and some of my dresses are still going the rounds 15 yrs on!!  Trim-It sells it at £1 per meter or £20 for a 25mt roll.  Fabric land also do it, I think even cheaper.  Ann x

Yellowfeather

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 21:00:31 PM »
i use this
http://www.venacavadesign.co.uk/product.php/44/8/narrow_gauge_steel_boning. which is really easy to cut with wire cutters, and thin and light enough to support most child size tutus.

Lollipop

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 23:16:06 PM »
I recently bought the Vena Cava hooping but have just ordered the plastic type that Ann mentioned to give it a try. £15 for 25m on ebay.
Was Sewnanny