The Sewing Place

Hi there!

Ploshkin

Re: Hi there!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2023, 08:49:23 AM »
Welcome @59doodle
Many of us are returnees to sewing after a long break, me included though I never stopped entirely.
I have a Elna coverstitch which is identical to yours in all but livery.
If you've watched all the videos you will know to turn the handwheel once until the needles are at their highest point then pull the fabric out the back diagonally to the left.  I find it does take a sharp yank, no point in being gentle but it always comes.  I hold the fabric at the very end of the stitching / start of the tails.
Life's too short for ironing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2023, 08:57:08 AM »
Welcome from me too.

I love my overlocker (Brother 3034D) and my coverstitcher (Babylock BLCS).  I used to have a Janome ccs, but got so fed up with it not working well and all those skipped stitches that I invested in the Babylock, it's so much better and just stitches perfectly all the time.  As for removing your work, I slide the tips of my tweezers under the presser foot, pulling the needle threads forward, cut those, then gently pull the fabric backward/leftwards and then cut the looper threads.  I'm pretty sure it was the same for the Janome.

Flobear

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2023, 08:58:55 AM »
Hello and welcome @59doodle  :bye:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2023, 09:08:01 AM »
Hi @59doodle  and welcome to TSP.

I too have the Elna version of the coverstitcher and it took me ages to get the hang of locking off and pulling the threads through, and even now it sometimes objects.  I find that using a smooth good quality thread (usually Guetermann SewAll) in the looper helps, and I have placed a tiny black dot made with a sharpie pen on the balance wheel where it matches the groove in the casing when the needles are at their higist point.

If it won't release open the flap and flip the lever down and it will come out - but remember to push the lever back again!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 11:34:56 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2023, 09:38:39 AM »
@Puzzler I used to have that machine & sometimes had the same problem. I found it best to release the tension & pull 10 cm of needle threads through with my fingers, then use a seam ripper to pass under the foot, pulling needle threads to front ( blunt side of ripper). Cut the resulting loop then pull fabric firmly backwards which pulls the looper thread to the back of the fabric & locks the stitching. I still use this method with the Euphoria as it avoids pulling on the finished stitching.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Helen M

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2023, 11:16:09 AM »
Hello and welcome from me too!

As for removing your work, I slide the tips of my tweezers under the presser foot, pulling the needle threads forward, cut those, then gently pull the fabric backward/leftwards and then cut the looper threads.  I'm pretty sure it was the same for the Janome.

I do exactly the same on my Janome 1000CPX and it works.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 41

So Chic

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2023, 11:38:10 AM »
Welcome to TSP, the place for good advice and friendship.  I do the same as Helen M and Bodgeitandscarper on my Janome 1000CP.  I bought the Stitch Sisters lessons on Coverstitch and Overlockers which are well illustrated, when they were on special offer.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 12:58:02 PM by So Chic »
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

59doodle

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2023, 12:13:17 PM »
Hi thank you for the welcomes and advice.

To answer a few comments:
I do sew clothes, and I have been doing a lot more stretch since buying the overlocker, but I also have a liking for African wax cotton, and have made a couple of items with that, and have some more in my stash for a summer blouse. While I wasn't doing much sewing I did still sew bits and bobs, such as making curtains and shortening hubby's trousers, etc.

I have followed the Janome videos to the letter - needles to highest position, pulling out the needle threads, cutting them, pulling the fabric backwards, etc. I'm sure I just need more practice, but overall it does do a nice hem, much better than a twin needle with my sewing machine, so I will persevere. I've been using my normal overlocker cones but maybe I need to try something different and see if that improves things.

I will certainly post some images when I am able to.

realale

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2023, 08:18:08 AM »
Hello and welcome from me too.
As you've found out, there's loads of friendly advice on here. Looking forward to getting to know you.
So many beers, so little time.

Surest1tch

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2023, 16:49:45 PM »
Hello @59doodle welcome from me too  :)