The Sewing Place

Log Cabin - Manx quilting and QAYG

Ploshkin

Log Cabin - Manx quilting and QAYG
« on: May 15, 2023, 11:14:02 AM »
As requested by @Iminei two quilt as you go methods of log cabin quilting.
First,my very first attempt at quilting from 35 years ago.  I'd never heard of rotary cutters, quilting rulers, fat quarters etc and got some curtain fabric and cut all the strips using a tape measure and scissors.
It is made one block at a time, the blocks are then joined and the seams bound.  Each log is machined on to a square of backing fabric and batting then folded back along the stitch line, the block is rotated and the next log stitched ......

Manx quilting on the next post

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    
Life's too short for ironing.

Ploshkin

Re: Log Cabin - Manx quilting and QAYG
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 11:25:07 AM »
.... and Manx quilting, another traditional log cabin method from the Isle of Man.
There is no batting / wadding used in Manx quilting, the thickness and warmth comes from the folded strips of fabric.  It is traditionally all done by hand with the fabric pieces measured by parts of the hand and the fabric torn.
Having centred the central square, by folding the backing square diagonally both ways, each log is stitched on with running stitch.  The log is then folded back but not along the stitching line - 2/3 of the width of the strip is folded back, this is actually very easy to do by eye.  Because it is not folded along the stitching line it doesn't matter at all if the stitching isn't straight and there is no pull on the stitches so they can be biggish if you want.

I have photographed the leaflet I had from the Craigneash Folk Museum where a lady showed me how it was done on a very wet afternoon when we were the only visitors.  I don't think the print is very clear so if anyone would like a scanned copy let me know.  I don't know how to post that on here.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 11:32:46 AM »
Very interesting @Ploshkin   I am fascinated by log cabin variations.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 18:55:49 PM by Ellabella »

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 16:05:20 PM »
Oh thank you @Ploshkin  They both look so beautiful ... and that first quilt/hanging is very like my first ever ever 'coverlet'

I designed it on squared paper, used upholstery and curtaining fabrics, cutting great big blocks and sewing on a borrowed machine with not a clue in the world about anything ... The middle has a bit of Trapunto going on, something I had to look up in the library, and something I couldnt replicate again. It sat unbacked for years until my waistcoat stint where I had the space to lay out and badly bagged it with a cheap sheet!

I still love it altho' its well on the Wonk and full of flaws ... and sometimes I daydream about making it again (I have the same feature fabric which I have always loved, the original had the remnants from my first ever pair of curtains ... the ones that literally fell apart a few years ago)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2023, 18:03:39 PM »
You will be pleased go know @Iminei that my paisley Ohio Star has had a soak in the bath and is currently drying out with the intention of hanging it again.  Boy, there was a lot of dirt washed out of it after being on various walls for the last 25 years.
ETA You definitely should make a new version of your original quilt if you still have the fabric.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 18:19:15 PM by Ploshkin »

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2023, 18:48:56 PM »
I still have the design, somewhere  :rolleyes: along with the picture framing tools I cant find) so maybe, just maybe ...   ::thinks::
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 08:09:22 AM by Iminei »

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 08:16:18 AM »
@Ploshkin  ... Could you send me the scanned version of the Manx version please ??

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2023, 08:59:39 AM »
Will do.  PM me an e mail address