The Sewing Place

Pens...

Syrinx

Pens...
« on: July 07, 2017, 20:12:29 PM »
All the Americans go on about frixion pens for marking out complicated FMQ derigns or for wholecloth quilts. They also mention wash out pens. I always start looking and then worry about the pen not coming out, or fading before I have finished quilting so I would have to remark, or being too fat a line.

So I thought I would finally get some because I am definitely going to be making a wholecloth quilt, even though the thought of designing something I like, marking it all up and then quilting it has terrified me. My FMQ skills are decent so it's more the design aspect as there's no piecing to work with! My recent craftsy course on ultimate FMQ also covers trapunto and I have been inspired. So. It will happen! But I 100% need pens!

So what pens to avoid, to go for, and your favourites :)

Acorn

Re: Pens...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 20:22:20 PM »
I use wash-off pens like this one.  I've never had any problems with them on any fabric - as long as you rinse the item rather than just dabbing it with water, which will leave you with a tideline!

I tried the pens that fade over time, and they always - but always - disappeared before I was ready for them to!

I also use chalk pencils - these - on darker fabrics, and have found them to be very good as well.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 21:11:35 PM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kad

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 20:59:12 PM »
I've heard that the mark made by a Frixion pen can sometimes reappear after you think that you've erased it so I would test thoroughly just in case  :o

I've used the water erasable pens and the water soluble crayon types too and had success, depending upon the fabric colour that you're quilting a very fine pencil line  can be successful.

If you're interested in quilting repeated motifs, rather than drawing each one out singly, I draw one copy in pencil onto Baker's Parchment paper, ( used to line cake tins ),
Then stack up to about 5 blank sheets of the parchment paper with the design copy on the top, pin them well together.
Using an old blunt large needle in your machine and no thread sew the design as if the paper stack were a quilt sandwich.
You will then have 5/6 copies of the design which you can place  ' rough side ' up upon the quilt sandwich. Pin well and fmq guided by the markings on the parchment paper.
The paper tears away from the completed design and your quilt is beautiful.

This is really useful for a complex design.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

rubywishes

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 23:29:17 PM »
Post deleted as I have just run into a problem with the product I was discussing/recommending.... and now I'm off to trim the bottom of my quilt top off :angry:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:15:36 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 07:22:05 AM »
Yesterday, on trying to work out the complicated swirls and twirls of my octapussy's eight legs, I extensively used lil dots of red frixion pen to guide my stitches. I then ironed them away.

Today, after re-reading the scaremonger theory of reappearing frixion pen marks, usually right at the point the quilt police/judges are inspecting your work, I dashed into the lounge to inspect the quilt visa v red dots....

Nothing , nada, its perfect !

So what I would say, unless your quilt is going to be hung/used in sub zero temperatures frixion pens are good to go!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 14:21:38 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 12:51:38 PM »
I always use Frixion Pens and never had any problems ( I don't usually freeze my quilts  :D )
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 13:02:06 PM »
I've used them a lot myself but I have had the odd fabric which has had a 'pale shadow' left after ironing so I'd recommend always trying them out on a scrap first although the odds are it'll be fine.

Dressmaking (especially coats) is another matter though...unless you only make summerwear and live in tropical Cornwall, of course!  ;)
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Jo

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 15:51:35 PM »
I also use Frixion and Water erasable pens. Have air erasable too, but I hate it, it disappears too soon!
The only trouble I've had with frixion is where it sort of leaked a little and made a thicker line that wouldn't disappear completly when ironed. Good thing it was on a muslin.