The Sewing Place

"Roses for Maxine"

rubywishes

"Roses for Maxine"
« on: July 09, 2017, 07:59:59 AM »
Well I finally finished piecing this top. It's been sewn, unsewn, re-cut, re-sewn and then the borders angsted over for well over a week now but it is finally done and ready for basting. I'm really pleased with how it has turned out,  I love the pop the green gives it...it's a perfect match to the green in the floral prints, as is the dusty red. gives definition and contrast without disturbing the simple 9 patch pattern.     And to make this quilt all the sweeter...I got the backing fabric (the same dusty red as the border) for...wait for it....drum roll......$3.00 per metre AND I'm talking wideback here....270cm width!!! The only sad bit is that the shop is not buying anymore of it in and I love this mottled backing fabric...have used it in varying colours for a lot of my quilts  :'(.
So basting next week and then to the quilting. I'm thinking SITD plus some fmq simple flowers in the plain pink squares and the pink columns.

Thanks everyone for the input on this one; I have lost count of how many times I changed things and it was a real struggle remembering as Lowie said....."it's not for me, it has to be how Maxine would love it". Thanks everyone.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

Re: "Roses for Maxine"
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 09:42:24 AM »
Way to go Ruby!!! Bravo...

errrm wheres Ducks ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 10:34:21 AM »
Lucky Maxine. She'll love it.  <3
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

rubywishes

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 10:37:17 AM »
Haha, Ducks has been pulled out from behind the sofa and unceremoniously dumped in the loungeroom in preparation for his regular donation to quiltdom.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!