The Sewing Place

Really old Handmade quilt

realale

Really old Handmade quilt
« on: July 08, 2023, 16:11:16 PM »
On Thursday I visited Chastleton a National Trust place by Moreton in the Marsh. It was a fascinating place but what caught my eye was a bed quilt that had been hand stitched and had taken the maker over 15 years to complete!! I got as near as I could and the stitches were tiny and beautifully placed. It was all one colour - white/cream and I was absolutely in awe of the craftsmanship. It was showing it's age (couple of hundred years possibly) but was still a fantastic testament to the lady who made it sewing skills.
There was also a folded quilt on the bed of the last occupant of the house. That was a rough and ready one of random 'squares' of different fabrics, different textures and different weights. Probably as near as could be to the original quilts made of redundant clothes/fabric.
An interesting place to visit.
So many beers, so little time.

Renegade Sewist

Re: Really old Handmade quilt
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 18:39:52 PM »
Is it the one with a big circular medallion? I went trolling through the 5000+ photos online.

Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

twopence

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 19:01:56 PM »
I have a whole cloth quilt from the family which is at least 100 years old. It is blue on one side and cream on the other. I think it came from my ex husbands family so would be north east quilting rather than welsh but really should find out. The blue side is faded a bit some of which was my fault. The photo shows the cream side so the pattern can be seen.

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 19:34:44 PM »
That's awesome, I can't imagine how many hours or how much patience that must have taken.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 19:43:33 PM »
That’s beautiful @twopence

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2023, 19:44:54 PM »
That's gorgeous @twopence

I found a blog post mentioning a visit "One small room entirely walled in Bargello work ( also called Florentine or Flame Stitch)The stitching on this bed quilt took 15 years to complete. Beautiful tiny stitches."

https://louisemaywatson.blogspot.com/2015/05/quilt-at-chastleton.html

Is that the same one @realale

realale

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2023, 22:42:35 PM »
Yes, that's the one @SewRuthieSews . The stitches were so tiny and even and the pattern so precise. Brilliant work.
That's a fantastic quilt @twopence. The hours it must have taken to complete.
I can quite see how the Chastleton one took 15 years to complete even if she did some every day and didn't stuff it in a corner for vast amounts of time!!
So many beers, so little time.

Cazlyn

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2023, 09:17:28 AM »
Absolutely beautiful quilts, the patience they must have had.
Crafting is my happy place

William

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2023, 10:37:51 AM »
WOW!!! The patience and the vision! Amazing!
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.