The Sewing Place

No Unread Topics

Jo

Re: No Unread Topics
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 09:38:01 AM »
It's not your code. I've had this happen on another smf forum too.

Swisslass

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 20:10:58 PM »
Fran - i keep the TSP tab open on the iPad all the time, I don't log in or out. I press 'recent unread topics' when I come back to the forum .... and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I don't log in on other devices.
Does this help?
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Francesca

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 20:17:59 PM »
Thanks, that does help. I'm just trying to pin down if there is any correlation between the incidents when it occurs, but it seems fairly random :(

Jo

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 07:10:06 AM »
Happened again today, when I moved from phone to pc.

Missie

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 08:05:25 AM »
Happened again yesterday, on the same computer I normally use (and it logs me out automatically) and there were at least 2 brand new topics since I'd shut it all down.

Francesca

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 09:22:22 AM »
Thanks for reporting.

As an update, I have a thread running on the SMF forum to try and ask why this happens. It seems it's fairly common across the board but I really need to raise it with the software developers themselves because the community doesn't have answers. Of course trying to get a response from the SMF creators is a tough task  :( I promise I am trying, and I'm really sorry for holding you all up! At least the green "new" signs on each sub-forum should help in the meantime.

Francesca

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 21:06:30 PM »
Hey all, I have a request for you.

If/when you see this issue occur, immediately after seeing the empty Unread list can you note the exact time for me and post it here (along with your current location if you are not in the UK). This may help me pair up error logs with this error. I haven't had this issue myself, so can't put the error logs against a specific occurrence.

Vegegrow

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 21:47:38 PM »
I don't have a problem but thank you for all your hard work Fran :*
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Francesca

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 19:42:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've had a bit of feedback.

It seems that this is not actually a bug but more a poorly-worded title for the page. The page in fact determines specifically recent unread topics, that doesn't include all topics.

I'm trying to figure out from the software developers what exactly recent means, however there is a solution. If you scroll to the bottom of your Recent Unread Topics page you will find a button called All Unread Topics. This should lead you to an entire list. Alternatively, click here: http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0

I may consider swapping the button in our site header to expressly always go to the above link, and call it Read Unread Topics or something, rather than this recent business which seems to be confusing everyone (including myself - seems poorly labelled to me!)

Maximum

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 20:28:04 PM »
Interesting feedback and thanks for the update. I have sometimes tried the All Unread button and it usually gives me a message that there aren't any even though I know there are some threads I just don't read or follow!

Francesca

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2017, 11:00:05 AM »
OK, would you guys prefer me to go ahead and change the link at the top of the page to link to All Unread Topics directly rather than 'recent' which doesn't always have a lot to show?

Lowena

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »
Yes please if it's no trouble Fran
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Maximum

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2017, 12:36:51 PM »
Thanks Fran. I think it would be easier and more logical. That button does bring up a longer list but the most recent are at the top so no need to scroll through more than a few screen fulls.
Hopefully others will add their feedback shortly

Acorn

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2017, 15:54:51 PM »
Yes please - I've been using the All Unread Topics link as my bookmark, but it would be good to have the link on the page too.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.