The Sewing Place

Ideas Please

Lowena

Ideas Please
« on: July 12, 2017, 10:23:44 AM »
I am ready to begin a new quilt..... however, I cannot for the life of me think what to do  -<
I need suggestions,please for..........colours ( don't you dare!!! ) designs, size of prints if relevant, finished size of quilt ( anything from cot size to King size, whichever suits the pattern best ).
I have some money  :o to splash out on new fabrics ( I have recently been doing small projects to use up my remaining old fqs ) and would love to try something different  as I tend to stay within my comfort zone when choosing designs ( especially if the shapes can be cut with the  Sissix  :| )
I'm terribly sorry to admit this ( and please don't see it as a criticism, as I love the completed blocks so far ) but...I really don't like the Shimmer block quilts. I never have, so, please don't suggest anything similar  :* Nor am I overkeen on pictorial or panel quilts.
Right... the gauntlet has been thrown down... I'm raring to go..... please help  :ninja:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:25:39 AM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Snowgoose

Re: Ideas Please
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 10:48:37 AM »
A pretty snowball quilt?  http://blog.bitsofeverything.com/2015/03/flowering-snowball-quilt-tutorial.html

Maybe in colours inspired by the seaside, blues, sand, golds, pink - seaside flowers!  Pattern of fabric, seaside theme  :[ boats, fish, ice creams  :P Cornwall is so beautiful, I'd try to use colours around me  :)

Make a huge kingsize and raffle it for charity maybe  :D or it would make a beautiful heirloom Christmas gift  :)

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »
Log cabin?  There are so many ways you can set out the blocks you can change your mind a bit as you go along.
Life's too short for ironing.

rubywishes

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 12:22:30 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/user/MissouriQuiltCo

Lowie have a look at the Missouri Star quilt company free tutorials, they've got heaps of ideas there.

OOOOOOOO what about a BARGELLO Lowie...,,go on...go on.....go on.......
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 13:57:07 PM »
My problem is.... I don't know what I do want. I've scoured Missouri and Pinterest, but nothing grabs me.
Ruby..... Hell will freeze over before I make a Bargello  :devil: Life is far too short for such fiddle faddling  :o
Pastels, Monochrome or Brights, I'm open minded. I don't think I could manage templates and curves Snowy  but I am looking for something a little different; a twist on what I normally produce......please get those thinking caps on  :*

Syrinx

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 14:04:57 PM »
Have a look on the timeless treasures website, they have lots of free patterns and they are all a little on the different side :)

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 14:06:18 PM »
The Twist and Twirl block

you can make it monochrome,

bright,

pastel whatever ...

It is a SIMPLE block, easy and fun to put together!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 16:53:19 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 15:16:09 PM »
No photo again Imi ( second photo ok but not first )
P.S didn't look easy on b.o.m  -<

twopence

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 15:30:30 PM »
Low, it was very easy to do and quite a few patterns can be made from it.  Unfortunately I didn't take photos of the ones that OH made.  I've done the basic one like Imi's to make into a cushion for DD1 for that celebration in December as she has a pink sofa.  Trying to decide whether to make more blocks and do a different pattern with them but then I'll need more fabric for the backs so would have to hope that I see it at the FOQ as I'm not sure that any of the area shops have it.

maliw

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 15:36:43 PM »
Do you buy fabric from a shop or online? If from a shop, go along and look at the fabrics and see what 'grabs'you. Sometimes I find that the fabrics can tell me which way I want to go with design.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 16:02:41 PM »
Try a Super-duper King and Queen sized Shakespear in the Park.  Mine's only King size!
It looks spectacular but really it's just alternating star blocks and snail trail blocks.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 16:03:29 PM »
Or a make a Storm-at-Sea. quilt.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

supergran

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 16:06:01 PM »
The twist and twirl was a lot easier than it looked Lowena. Give it a go, it'a gorgeous.

wrenkins

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 16:11:01 PM »
The Storm at Sea is my favourite Brenda. It's my third in line "to do" at the moment. It's a very effective use of shapes and has patterns within patterns.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

supergran

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 16:15:43 PM »
I really like the shakespeare in the park. Can you tell me where I can find the pattern for it please?