The Sewing Place

Multi coloured overlocker thread?

Stitchalot

Multi coloured overlocker thread?
« on: July 12, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »
 I would like  to make a feature of the overlocking on some children's clothes by using multicoloured/variegated thread. I once bought some from Empress Mills, but can't see it any more. Does anyone know where I might get it please? I have seen plenty of embroidery thread. Would that work ok in the loopers?

Lyn-J

Re: Multi coloured overlocker thread?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 13:45:07 PM »
I've used rayon embroidery thread in the loopers before now. Be prepared to do a bit of experimenting with loosening the tension. Expect some thread breakages until you get it right.

Holly Berry

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 15:09:25 PM »
You can use embroidery thread, just just have to play around and adjust the tension as Lyn-j says. Infact you can put wool through, although I've not tried it. It could work out expensive though, as loopers use a lot of thread.

Another option is to use more than one thread in each looper again have to play around with tension. The main problem might be that because the thread isn't twisted together don't know what it would look like on the fabric.
Procrastination get behind me

Marniesews

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 16:12:32 PM »
There are four different colour blends of variegated thread cones in Mibs.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 16:28:38 PM »
I bought some 'Varisheen' wooly nylon/overlocker thread from Empress Mills a couple of years ago at Knitting & Stitching show at Ally Pally, but it doesn't appear on their website.

There's this thread, but it doesn't appear to be available in UK.

Looks as though you might have to use embroidery thread if you want the variegated colours.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Stitchalot

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 20:18:51 PM »
Thanks very much for your input everyone. I may try the Mibs one. I have also found a U.K. supplier of the Toldilock Swirls.