The Sewing Place

Linen, and linen mix

b15erk

Linen, and linen mix
« on: July 13, 2017, 11:04:08 AM »
I have a couple of pieces of fabric which I'm hoping to make into shirt dresses.  After my last experience with loose weave fabrics, does anyone have any tips, to stop the seams from pulling?

I've pictured both fabrics, as you can see, the first, the Linen Viscose, is a very loose weave, but it's a lovely weight.  The second I'm not sure is linen - no lables, maybe a fine cotton.  It's quite lightweight.

Any suggestions of how to treat these fabrics will be appreciated.  I love both, but would rather not have the seams splitting if I can help it.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

Re: Linen, and linen mix
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 11:16:26 AM »
I've never had a seam splitting problem with any fabric so don't really know.  But I wonder if a flat fell seam or flat fell lookalike (overlocked seam then topstitched) would help by spreading the load.
Life's too short for ironing.

arrow

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 13:00:04 PM »
I agree with Ploshkin. Real flat felled seams with two lines of stitching makes a difference. It's used to make seams hold sheer and  difficult fabrics like viscose, silks, and it works. (even shoulder seams on slim fit shirts hold up). The problem is flat felled seams aren't easy and not always possible on all sides.

A carefully chosen overlock seam (I'm thinking of a single needle and thread version on your basic machine) can hold the stitching in place too; since it's not as much the stitching as the threads in the fabric itself needing the enforcement. A clevery chosen stitch pattern can make a difference. .

Do you have enough material to test stitch and stress test seams?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 13:50:55 PM by arrow »

maliw

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 17:05:25 PM »
I would line the linen viscose anyway so that would take some of the pressure off the seams. I agree with the others, a flat fell seam should help.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula