The Sewing Place

From inspiration to reality

Manuela

From inspiration to reality
« on: July 15, 2017, 05:26:34 AM »
It's official, after planning, planning and a bit more planning, I finally started with my version of the Chanel cruise collection dress I have lusted after since I've seen it.
I though about quilting the boucle onto a silk lining, but decided against it. I decided to traditionally line it with Bemberg rayon lining instead - given the climate n Hong Kong it makes more sense that way. It will be sleeveless, with fringes at hem and arm-holes, pockets and a centre front zipper (like the original). Given the fact that I'm not exactly a spring chicken, I'll make it in mid-knee length.
I am hell-bent to wear it with at least one pound of baroque freshwater pearls around my neck  :devil:

Here the dress I'm in love with and the fabric I'm going to use - progress updates will follow  :)
Feel free to post your own 'inspiration to reality' projects here.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:52:54 AM by Manuela »

Tamnymore

Re: From inspiration to reality
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 08:29:07 AM »
Great idea for a thread, Manuela. That's a super dress and fabric and your version wil be ace. And I'm sure you are a much springier chicken than I am.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:43:42 AM »
Absolutely gorgeous Manuela. You don't need to be any kind of Spring Chicken if you have A TI TOOD!  :toast:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:01:51 AM »
Fabulous.... though for the things I love I would have to be 30 years younger and six stone lighter.. but one ca dream. I tend to add details I love to shapes I know suit me and fabrics that are a little different.

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 11:07:36 AM »
Great idea for a thread, Manuela.

I had a similar idea for a future sewalong, but nobody seemed particularly interested.  :(

@Manuela: I remember seeing this collection on PR and was underwhelmed but your work is excellent and maybe your take will be more wearable.  0_0

Ravingdoll

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 12:37:14 PM »
That looks lovely Manuela, will definitely keep up with your progress!  My mother has to go into hospital next week and one of my brothers has bought her a book of Lanvin couture clothing which on a quick scan through looks lovely, I might have to look for some inspiration in there.  Because obviously it will eventually find its way to me for a read! 

DaisyChain

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 12:45:26 PM »
the original). G
I am hell-bent to wear it with at least one pound of baroque freshwater pearls around my neck  :devil:

At least one pound  :D

I've just been browsing your flickr account......so inspirational. I loved the 'denim' Chanel jacket file. How do you do that fab fringing?

What I'd love to make is a coat length Chanel style jacket. Sort of a coatigan type thing! I saw one in John Lewis' sale but it was the wrong size....it was also the wrong colour, (for me). 
https://www.johnlewis.com/oui-long-tweed-coat-off-white/p3113531

UR, I must have missed that thread. I should really come here more often. 8)

Manuela

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 14:54:47 PM »
I had a similar idea for a future sewalong, but nobody seemed particularly interested.
Utta, sorry I didn't know... I hope you're ok with doing it casually here.

Progress update, everything is cut, and given the fabric ( silk boucle that frays even when you just look at it) I stay-taped  all the seam allowances.

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 14:59:25 PM »
No need to be sorry, it was just a suggestion for a possible future competition in which I probably would not have even taken part.  0_0

Look forward to seeing your interpretation.

BajaSusana

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 15:55:57 PM »
Manuela,

I must say that when I hear Chanel, my mind goes black. My mother adored the Chanel jacket, I abhor it. It is unbecoming on my hour glass shape. But this dress is interesting.i especially like the fringe, and the belt and loops.
At least two pounds of pearls, but you simply must wear those SANDALS!i lime the idea of an inspired by sew a,one and was in Utta's corner. So let's see what transpires here!

Manuela

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 16:04:59 PM »
Nope, the sandals are not for me. I'd spend all my time making sure the pesky things stay up (borderline OCD), life is too short for that  :D

ETA: BajaSusana, you are a very bad influence. I looked around for gladiator sandals, and ended up getting these (with zipper at the back, so no fumbling with lacing them up)  :devil:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 14:36:44 PM by Manuela »

Manuela

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 14:42:15 PM »
I loved the 'denim' Chanel jacket file. How do you do that fab fringing?

I put step by step pictures about making the fringe trim in that Flickr album of the 'denim' Chanel jacket as well.
You basically cut two bias strips, one in lining, one in boucle/tweed and sew the together in the centre of the strip. You then iron them open, boucle to one side, lining to the other. The lining becomes your seam allowance, you can then fringe the boucle (I recommend using a dining fork to do that).

Manuela

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 11:42:06 AM »
Progress report, or hmmmm, that didn't go very well  :S
I almost finished the dress and decided that I neither like the shape nor the colours on me (too warm)  ><

Lessons learned:
1. I knew that a fitted tweed dress doesn't look good on me, and hoped that my semi-fitted dress pattern will work. I was wrong, it looked frumpy in this fabric. I need to use a very loose fitting pattern, especially around the chest, as I don't like the bust dart for this project.
2. I bought the fabric about 4 years ago, when I had long, black hair. It looked good on me then, but not now with my short grey hair.

I have to think about what to do with the dress. Both my niece as well as my step-daughter are blond, so if either of them wants it, I'll finish it for her.  8)

On a positive side, I fitted Vogue 1496, and it looks like a great pattern for this project. I have the same tweed in black with pink, and cut it today.
Hope to wear it out for a date with the lovely Mr Manuela on Friday.

I also have a good reason now to get black gladiator sandals  :devil:

DaisyChain

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 21:20:37 PM »
Hi Manuela, I saw the sequence of photos but I couldn’t visualise what I was looking at. Duhh.  :[ 

Thanks for the explanation, it all makes sense now!

Sorry your dress wasn’t what you wanted it to be.

Hope you find some fab gladiator sandals.  8)

Tamnymore

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 21:38:28 PM »
That's a pity, Manuela. It's a nice pattern. I recommend Dr Martens for gladiator sandals. I have blue pair.

I couldn't help having a nosey at the pics of your other fabulous sewing projects. I love  <3 the Sherlock coats!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:38:12 AM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde