The Sewing Place

2024 Jeans Sew Along

Ouryve

Re: 2024 Jeans Sew Along
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2024, 23:34:48 PM »
I did try that, @Ohsewsimple but my bum gets in the way. It's not full but it is low which Is why I don't want to touch the lumbar region just yet. I need to get that crotch shape right, first.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2024, 10:40:25 AM »
Agreed, you need to reshape the back crotch to allow enough room for your bum to be in its natural place.

I do this (and also a sticky out bum alteration which you don't need) by having a scooped out back crotch - mine is quite extreme like an L shape., yours might be a bit more of a hook or J.

Ouryve

« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2024, 16:10:26 PM »
This pattern came with a round bum option. Naturally I ignored that one.

The bum and inseam adjustments has fixed the back of the legs (as much as is possible) and I just need to tweak the front crotch and take in those centre back and yoke seams. My favourite rtw pair (stretch skinnies from M&S) is a reminder that I need to take more painkillers and make more use of our local hills. I used to have cracking thighs.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ouryve

« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2024, 16:13:34 PM »
Excuse the awful crocs BTW. They're almost as old as my children.

Ploshkin

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2024, 09:45:13 AM »
Looking good @Ouryve .  I think you are going to end with a better fit than the M&S ones which is why it's worth doing it.
I'm sitting here wearing one of my earliest pairs of me made jeans, long consigned to the farming drawer and it's just struck me how comfortable they are to wear.
Life's too short for ironing.

Cazlyn

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2024, 07:40:04 AM »
So… I have been steadily working on my first pair of jeans and have really enjoyed the process, who knew I would enjoy topstitching so much!  I put them on yesterday to show ‘im indoors and to work out the length, only to discover the button guard has come away from the front.  I have ordered some new buttons because there’s no way I can get the current ones off and will have to bodge a new button guard.

It has certainly been a learning process and I discovered that my machine can adjust itself according to fabric thickness, which is very handy.

Hopefully when the buttons come I will be able to sort something out so they don’t look too awful.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Crafting is my happy place

Ouryve

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2024, 08:50:41 AM »
How frustrating, @Cazlyn - hopefully you can slot a new one in without too many hours of unpicking.

Mine just need hemming. They have a zip fly. After nursing yet another sore patch above my belly button, I've decided just to use hooks as a closure as I always wear a belt with mine, anyhow. I won't be tucking anything in, either.

Ploshkin

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2024, 10:02:32 AM »
@Ouryve are you allergic to the metal button?  I have a metal allergy but I always have a t shirt tucked into jeans.  I even have issues with the hooks on bras even though there isn't direct skin contact.

Ouryve

« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2024, 10:15:52 AM »
I am, @Ploshkin which is one of my big motivators for making my own. The studs, too. Even with a vest and big knickers I end up with itchy dots all over my belly.

Ouryve

« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2024, 12:43:40 PM »
All finished apart from something to fasten them with. I might go back and reinforce the bottom of the fly opening a bit, too, as it looks weak.

The bar tacks at the top of the pockets aren't the neatest. The left pocket ones are the third attempt as the foundation stitches kept going wonky or Pfanny would have a fainting fit. The same issue with the interfacing as I had with the waistband. The right pockets are just satin stitch. Don't tell anyone.

Fit wise, after adjusting the crotch curve far more than anticipated, they've ended up higher in the waist than I wanted. My usual jeans belt is too big for them so I shall have to source another one - I ve already been wearing it a hole or two tighter, since cutting out gluten. I don't love them to wear, but they will be perfectly good Youngest walking jeans.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2024, 13:44:55 PM »
Well @Ouryve i think they’re looking really good.  Of course I had to zoom in to look at the bartacks.  :laughing:   Anyone spotting the problems would be far too close methinks. 

Ploshkin

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2024, 14:51:55 PM »
A very neat job @Ouryve .  I never do bartacks on jeans, just go backwards and forwards with the stitching s couple of times.  I have jeans in the farming drawer that I probably made 10 years ago and they get some pretty rough wear.  I've never had a joint / seam / stitching fail on any I have made.

Bill

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2024, 14:59:41 PM »
Nowt wrong with those @Ouryve  :thumb:
Bernina 570QE      1937 Singer 201k
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Ouryve

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2024, 15:19:52 PM »
I gave up and did backwards and forwards to secure the belt loops, @Ploshkin and it was the backwards bits that set off the warnings.  :headbang:

Morgan

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2024, 15:50:03 PM »
. . .  only to discover the button guard has come away from the front.  I have ordered some new buttons because there’s no way I can get the current ones off and will have to bodge a new button guard 
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
What an infuriating thing to happen after all that work and your perfect top stitching.
I probably would have sworn some very, very nasty words.
Will you replace the button extension or use it as a design opportunity for a creative solution?