The Sewing Place

My first applique!

Lizzielogs

My first applique!
« on: July 16, 2017, 13:48:15 PM »
Didn't want to be half hearted about it so thought I'd best make a bag to use it - tell me applique ladies should I have turned the fabric over by a few mm before I sewed it on and if so how would I have done it on such curves.
I didn't and just and sure the stitch was close enough together not to show any fraying.
Also what do you use to keep the piece in place while you sew? Pins - glue - something else?
Thanks for any help  <3

MistyRose

Re: My first applique!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 13:54:56 PM »
Nice bag looks pretty and well done.   Great job.   Never done this myself yet.
Misty Rose.

Manuela

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 14:51:59 PM »
I haven't done enough applique to give advice, but I researched it quite a bit when I did a project (quilt and cushion covers for mt grand nephew).
What I tried and tested was using paper backed fusible web to stabilise amd keep the applique in place.
In the pictures the glasses are appliqued on, I used paper backed fusible web, and stitched them on using  satin stitches (a narrow zig zag stitch).

fajita

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 15:35:11 PM »
Looks great, well done.  I haven't done a lot, but when I do letters I bondaweb them (sounds like the paper backed fusible mentioned by Manueline). Then satin stitch.

Then I give the item away and hope they survive in use

Lizzielogs

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 16:57:03 PM »
Thanks both, I did back the material with a medium weight interfacing before I cut it and I think that saved the edges fraying but I read you had to turn under the edges - but only after I'd finished!!

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 19:47:56 PM »
That looks great LL, am I right in thinking that motif is Minnie Mouse... or am I reading too much in it ?

Yes Heat n Bond or some such double sided adhesive stabiliser is the go to product for applique ...
It keeps everything in place while you do a nice close satin stitch or blanket stitch round it!
Looks like you have done a great job on that score already!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lizzielogs

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 21:44:51 PM »
That looks great LL, am I right in thinking that motif is Minnie Mouse... or am I reading too much in it ?

Yes Heat n Bond or some such double sided adhesive stabiliser is the go to product for applique ...
It keeps everything in place while you do a nice close satin stitch or blanket stitch round it!
Looks like you have done a great job on that score already!

Yep it's Minnie Mouse, Is the double sided stuff repositionable or is it a one way trip Imi??

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 21:48:39 PM »
If it's an iron on one it's stuck there, but there are temporary spray on adhesives designed for holding fabric in place while it's sewn, and they are repositionable.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lizzielogs

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 21:51:35 PM »
If it's an iron on one it's stuck there, but there are temporary spray on adhesives designed for holding fabric in place while it's sewn, and they are repositionable.

Thank you x

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 12:05:10 PM »
I use the 'Blanket Stitch' when I do applique, I find it doesn't look so heavy as a Satin stitch.  If you use Heat and Bond, or similar, you don't need to turn the edges.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

supergran

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 20:28:45 PM »
Steam a Seam 2 is repositionable until you use the iron on it. Before you do that you can move it around until you find the best place and it stays where it's put fairly well. After ironing it though, it's stuck fast. It's good if you are doing a design with lots of small bits that need to be just right

jen

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 16:09:10 PM »
It looks great. Another way of dealing with the edges in appliqué is to stitch a lightweight fabric RS together with the appliqué pieces, make a small slit in the backing fabric and turn the shape through, pressing the edges. I've read a variation of this technique, which is to use a fusible instead of the lightweight fabric organising it so that when  you turn through you have the fusible glue side out and can fuse it to your background. I think this could work well if your appliqué fabric is obliging and allow you to finger press the turnings flat after it's turned through.

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 16:57:25 PM »
I've read a variation of this technique, which is to use a fusible instead of the lightweight fabric organising it so that when  you turn through you have the fusible glue side out and can fuse it to your background. I think this could work well if your appliqué fabric is obliging and allow you to finger press the turnings flat after it's turned through.

And you're supergood at remembering which side is the fusible and don't stick it to your sole plate!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

jen

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2017, 12:03:21 PM »
If you do stick it to the sole plate and don't have iron cleaner handy, wiping the warm iron over baby wipes a few times gets the interfacing off  :D