The Sewing Place

Finished!

Acorn

Finished!
« on: December 17, 2017, 19:49:26 PM »
I have just finished making a hot water bottle cover which will be one of my Mum's Christmas presents. 

It has been far more complicated than you would imagine - mostly because it is very tricky to add a drawstring channel at the top of something that has bias binding around the edges, but also because the first run of the embroidery went seriously wrong one colour before the end when the machine reset itself and I forgot that I had adjusted the position of the design in the hoop, and the second run went wrong because I forgot to reset it to the beginning and it started at the end with the wrong colour thread.

Extra brownie points to anyone who can spot the totally deliberate pun contained within it  :D ... I'm relying on my Dad to point it out on Christmas Day.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

toileandtrouble

Re: Finished!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 22:19:07 PM »
Otters you like? Otters in here?  Go on, you'll have to tell us!
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 22:39:59 PM »
The cover keeps the hot water bottle 'otter.

I'm sorry.  So very sorry.   :\

fajita

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 00:09:13 AM »
Two otters. To make you too otttt

toileandtrouble

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 08:29:26 AM »
I do love the embroidery.  Did you digitize the otters yourself, or buy them ready done?

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 10:23:23 AM »
Two otters. To make you too otttt

Oooh - nice one.  Adding it to the mental list.   :)

It's an Embroidery Library design.  I already had the fabric in my stash, and I couldn't believe it when I came across the embroidery design - everything fell into place (apart from the mechanics of adding the top channel to the body with the bias binding.  I'm still not quite sure how I did that.)

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 10:26:29 AM »
Love the otter fabric!  It's a lovely gift Acorn - I think I might be copying your style of drawstring top, it will make getting the bottle in very easy.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 11:15:58 AM »
It's an Embroidery Library design.  I already had the fabric in my stash, and I couldn't believe it when I came across the embroidery design - everything fell into place (apart from the mechanics of adding the top channel to the body with the bias binding.  I'm still not quite sure how I did that.)
[/quote]
Thanks, I think it's otterly beautiful.