The Sewing Place

The cross stitch garden

Vegegrow

The cross stitch garden
« on: January 07, 2018, 19:57:40 PM »
I bought this book recently as I love the designs  https://www.johnlewis.com/search-press-the-cross-stitch-garden-book-by-kazuko-aoki/p3260044?sku=236962341&s_kwcid=2dx92700027447585353&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp8fSBRCUARIsABPL6JZAS4CoaKOJChtxqIiovlZO6RsJqvufCUUru_UI4ROJZW5rwHC-hkgaArp7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
 I'm a complete beginner at this but I don't let things like that stop me.. I have looked through the book and I understand it I think ..... all except this... in the thread squares 422 and 610 there is a thicker line along the edge of the square boxes does this mean something..  :\  any advice much appreciated
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Acorn

Re: The cross stitch garden
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 20:02:33 PM »
I would think it means that an outline in the darker ink is done in thread number 422, and in the paler ink is done in thread 610.

Does that make sense looking at the chart?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 08:54:02 AM »
Is it possible that it means that some of the cross-stitches also need a straight stitch to outline them?

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 09:00:12 AM »
Good God Vege  :\ 

You seem to have stumbled across some ancient lost language or interplanetary sci-fi code to the secret of life!!!  :S

I would google basic cross stitch destructions, its not something I have ever come across or done myself ... but I look forward to seeing pics of your progress .... Do you need embroidery wool ?? I have tons looking for a good home!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 13:27:51 PM »
It's been a few years since I did cross stitch but if my memory serves me right, that means you do back-stitch around in the marked places to outline the design. :)
Willing but not always able :)

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 14:08:47 PM »
It's been a few years since I did cross stitch but if my memory serves me right, that means you do back-stitch around in the marked places to outline the design. :)

Yes - that`s what I was trying to say (presumably in the same colour as the cross-stitch unless it said otherwise)

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 14:22:36 PM »
Could it be the direction of travel of the design, showing where you go next?

I'll get me coat..... :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lilian

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 15:06:56 PM »
Yes - that`s what I was trying to say (presumably in the same colour as the cross-stitch unless it said otherwise)

Yes in the colour stated  :)

Vegegrow

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 16:16:23 PM »
thankyou for your replies I'll post anther pic later which is different ... I have a customer order to finish.. I'm just boiling the kettle for a quick cup of tea
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Vegegrow

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 19:44:39 PM »
Aghhhh.. why is it when you tidy up you can't find stuff. >< .. I'll find it tomorrow.. promise  :angel:

Vegegrow

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 09:29:15 AM »
Well eventually I found it..the book ... down the back of the bed... bedtime reading  :[
I have attached more pics of the different lines in the boxes and these highlight instructions
So Thank you peeps I think your right  :*.... I had googled cross stitch instructions and couldn't find any answers

Lilian

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 17:51:19 PM »
Glad you found it Vegegrow  :)

Sewbee

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 18:04:46 PM »
I think it's back stitch.

I love cross stitch but it's been a while since I have done any. I did, however, bring a mass of supplies with me from the USA! (I just wish I'd brought my sewing patterns and fabric stash!)

sewingj

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 18:39:36 PM »
I used to do a lot but my eye-sight isn`t up to it now

Are you going to use an embroidery hoop?  It`ll help you keep the stitches even

Vegegrow

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 21:05:10 PM »
Yes I have several hoops so that's not a problem .. I will have to see about seeing... :ninja: I'm a beginner at this but I just love the designs   :loveit: