The Sewing Place

Independent pattern companies

Sewingsue

Re: Indie Patterns
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 17:21:28 PM »
Some interesting jackets and coats on the Schnittquelle site. Thanks Swisslass.
Pity they don't put the descriptions in English when you are using the English version though.

Oh well, maybe one day. Right now it would be running before I can walk.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

dolcevita

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 17:41:19 PM »
I've tried a few lekala patterns recently and have mixed opinions about them, too.  I made a coat late last autumn that was on track for looking great and eventually did.  However, it had inset pockets in a front princess seam and they were positioned so low down that my fingertips barely reached them!!!!  I managed to save it, but there does seem to be an error in their system for using custom sizes as it doesn't appear to alter the positioning of things like pockets to correspond with the custom size.

I have most recently made a dress from lekala - one of their patterns is a knock off of a really nice Ralph Lauren dress from a couple of seasons ago.  I made a 'wearable toile' as the toile fabric was pretty cheap, but the fit is odd, to say the least.  Actually, it's not so much odd as having practically zero ease even though it's specified as a woven.  I'll need to lose a few pounds before I would be comfortable wearing version 1, but it's still a nice dress.

As for lekala's instructions?  Forget it.  Don't even try and figure them out, it will just make things even more confusing.

For fit and consistency, I still rate Burda and Ottobre, and Ottobre's everyday basics that they stuff the magazine with are great.  I'm hoping to knock out some of these pretty soon.

Catllar

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 18:02:24 PM »

. Tina Givens  patterns look interesting although a little frilly in places! http://www.sewtinagivens.com/printed-patterns.

I guess a lot of the success or failure of her look is in the styling and your height - some are very frilly and don't get me started on the bloomers - but a lot of the tops and dresses could look good!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Kittensposies

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 19:51:55 PM »
  Except if it was Collette or By Hand London in which case I would probably run a mile.  (Though admittedly Fran's moneta dress looks awesome!)

Why would you run a mile?  I quite like Colette but haven't bought any yet. 

My first pattern was coco by Tilly and the Buttons and while it is such an easy pattern at quite a hefty price, it is brilliant for a beginner with the pictures.  The indie patterns often seem to do well on blogs so end up on pinterest, and then I find them and fall in love with them.  I need to get more confident with drafting simple dresses for me and the girls so I don't need to buy simple patterns.   

My favourite pattern for ease was by 'sew liberated'.  It was the Ashland dress and as beginner it was such a well explained and well fitting dress.  It is the only one where I haven't had to alter anything or needed help to understand the instructions.   

By the way I am trying to quote and keep getting it wrong as I am such luddite and then trying to edit it.  Oh dear, such basic things baffle me.

I think it's the uncertainty of what you get with Collette and By Hand London. Collette because the fit and sizing seems to vary so much by pattern, and BHL because they have the most bonkers instructions! I bought the Elisalex dress which has zero ease in some bits, and positive ease in others. And the bodice didn't seem to work with the skirt. I've read they've now reissued it with a whole new bodice.  >< Not going to bother trying again! I hold grudges ;)

I have never tried the Ashland dress but just googled it and it sounds nice!! Definitely going to try it!!

Kittensposies

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 19:53:17 PM »
Argh I can't make the quoting work. Hopefully my answer makes sense anyway:)

Francesca

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 23:07:20 PM »
Why would you run a mile?  I quite like Colette but haven't bought any yet. 

My first pattern was coco by Tilly and the Buttons and while it is such an easy pattern at quite a hefty price, it is brilliant for a beginner with the pictures.  The indie patterns often seem to do well on blogs so end up on pinterest, and then I find them and fall in love with them.  I need to get more confident with drafting simple dresses for me and the girls so I don't need to buy simple patterns.   

My favourite pattern for ease was by 'sew liberated'.  It was the Ashland dress and as beginner it was such a well explained and well fitting dress.  It is the only one where I haven't had to alter anything or needed help to understand the instructions.   

By the way I am trying to quote and keep getting it wrong as I am such luddite and then trying to edit it.  Oh dear, such basic things baffle me.

Don't get me started on Colette in general. I sew the Seamwork patterns because they're quick and usually don't use much fabric. I sewed the Colette Moneta because it's the only professionally drafted Colette pattern... yes you heard that right... the only professionally drafted Colette pattern after, what, 8 years?

There was a very big drama over their recent Rue dress when it was discovered that the dress was horribly, horribly drafted. So many people sewed it up and had an awful time of it. I could probably do a full write-up elsewhere (in fact I did on Threddit) but basically lots of underhand cover-ups of how poorly it was drafted, the realisation that they don't know what they're doing (they submitted a wishy-washy post on their blog about how they were "learning from their mistakes" and "revising their practices" even though lots of people have been crying out for them to do that for the last 8 years). They deleted comments of criticism and photoshopped wrinkles from garments showing problems, from their site. A lot of mess basically.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 23:10:32 PM by Francesca »

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 08:57:24 AM »
... I also really like Sewaholic though I wonder what will happen now the original designer is no longer associated with them.

There was a lot of disquiet about this on another forum of which I am a member, but in the news section on the Sewaholic site, the new owners state, in response to a query about drafting:

'... thank you for sharing your post. We’ll be working with the same pattern block as Tasia so that the proportions will remain the same.'.

SkoutSews

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 09:33:22 AM »
For fit and consistency, I still rate Burda and Ottobre, and Ottobre's everyday basics that they stuff the magazine with are great.  I'm hoping to knock out some of these pretty soon.

I'm with Dolcevita on this, Ottobre and Burda are my favourites.  In fact DV, it was you who told me about Ottobre a couple of years back on TSF.  I ordered a back copy, then subscribed.  They both fit my shape better then the Big 4, particularly Ottobre, which usually need only an FBA to fit well.

Tracing off the Ottobre pattern pieces from the multi-coloured tangle of lines can be wearing on the eyes, back and patience, but I'd much rather do that than struggle to join many, many pieces of A4 with sticky tape.  They have very wearable designs, even if the styling in the magazine can be weird at times!

UttaRetch

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 11:12:49 AM »
I like the styles of the envelope Burda patterns, but I had one project that turned into 'Satan's own' and have since persistently failed to get beyond the toile stage.

Snippet

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 19:45:02 PM »
I know Colette patterns are a bit Marmite, but one of my favourite patterns has been the Phoebe dress.

I had to tweak the pattern for fit (just like every other pattern) but I've made it twice now, one in a dark navy babycord and the other in a black and white tweed with shots of coloured silk through.

Having said that, I don't know why I was drawn to the pattern in the first place because the publicity photos were absolutely dire  -<

Can't say I noticed how good the instructions were either, I may not have followed them...or maybe I've had too many glasses of wine tonight to remember  :toast: :D

Francesca

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2017, 20:44:42 PM »
I know Colette patterns are a bit Marmite, but one of my favourite patterns has been the Phoebe dress.

I had to tweak the pattern for fit (just like every other pattern) but I've made it twice now, one in a dark navy babycord and the other in a black and white tweed with shots of coloured silk through.

Having said that, I don't know why I was drawn to the pattern in the first place because the publicity photos were absolutely dire  -<

Can't say I noticed how good the instructions were either, I may not have followed them...or maybe I've had too many glasses of wine tonight to remember  :toast: :D

Phoebe dress looks cute but I'm sure I have a McCalls patterns very similar.

I think with Colette you just have to go in with an open mind that they are not drafted well. As long as you know what's up with them, then you'll be fine.

DaisyChain

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2017, 08:53:27 AM »
I feel disappointed with some indie pattern companies use of vanity sizing. Surely they know people who sew use a tape measure.  Colette’s smallest size is labelled 0 and is larger than a Vogue size 10 and Megan Neilson’s smallest size is XS which is the same size as a Vogue size 12! ( Vogue patterns go down three more sizes to a 6). If they don’t want to draft pattern sizes for petite or small framed people who need to choose small sizes and do an FBA then that’s their choice but labelling their sizes to imply we don’t exist is well...disappointing..

Racketandrufus

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2017, 22:48:44 PM »
I like Tessuti, the Australian company. Generally loose fitting garments, I've found they go together well and the instructions are good.

sewmuchmore

Independant pattern companies
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2019, 18:39:45 PM »
Nor sure if this link has been shared before but if gives quite a comprehensive list of independent pattern companies. Plus I find this a good site for all things related to sewing.
Find it here
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

annieeg

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 12:44:53 PM »
https://www.bluedotpatterns.com/store/p26/New_Dover_Jacket%21_-_PDF_Sewing_Pattern_includes_Copy_Shop_File.html

For some reason I've missed this post, but now having found it I'm delighted!
I've just bought the above (Dover Jacket by Bluedot patterns).
 :D
Annieeg