The Sewing Place

Independent pattern companies

Tamnymore

Re: Independent pattern companies
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2021, 09:02:47 AM »
I don't normally bother with jumpsuits - you need a waist to do them justice! - but that one is nice.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

BrendaP

« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2021, 09:47:07 AM »
Jumpsuits are the work of the devil - inconvenient to say the least, and any that I've ever tried on have been too short in the body - ouch!  However that one by Sew Love would convert to a two piece without too much trouble.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

William

« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2021, 18:05:59 PM »
Instructions? What are those?
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Gernella

« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2021, 10:36:08 AM »
Jumpsuits are the work of the devil - inconvenient to say the least, and any that I've ever tried on have been too short in the body - ouch!  However that one by Sew Love would convert to a two piece without too much trouble.

Yesterday my 'don't like it' cat food was collected by someone I knew from my past working life.  She arrived wearing one of those plastic masks that hook on and what could only be described as very loose and baggy dungarees.  I just wanted to laugh and then thought, well then perhaps I'm old fashioned.  I just can't see me in them though. Nice pattern on the fabric though.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lachica

« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2021, 10:38:18 AM »
Not just you @Gernella. I have a sneaky suspicion that the baggy patterns are just lazy draughting. I'm average height & on the chubby side but baggy stuff swamps me & makes me feel dowdy. Each to their own though.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2021, 11:03:38 AM »
I can't stand dungarees or anything one piece.  I have a long body and big boobs, size 10 hips, size 12 waist and size 16 boobs.  There isn't a pattern on the planet that would fit that lot and I don't have the time or inclination to try and adjust a pattern to fit.
All in ones are the work of the devil  :devil:
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Nevis5

« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2021, 13:48:56 PM »
I agree, @Bumblebuncher   my stats are similar to yours.  No way would I struggle into an all in one.  And the loo issue is a major one for me, I'm shuddering at the thought of dashing into a public convenience and having to completely undress.  I did wear a 'flying suit' (as it was called back in the day) way back in the early 1980s, can't remember where I bought it but I loved it on me then.  But that was then, and now is now, and I'm older, wiser and with a considerably weaker bladder  :laughing:

Lachica

« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2021, 14:25:48 PM »
I did make a 'jumpsuit' a la Anneka Rice, probably in the early 80's. I remember buying the fabric & pattern in John Lewis. It was before I knew about altering patterns & I was a standard 12. When I finished it I couldn't sit down in it, the colour didn't suit me so it went in the bin. I later found out I have a long torso. Or short legs. Either way, I agree with @Nevis5,  not going there again.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Tamnymore

« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2021, 14:58:13 PM »
I made a yellow jumpsuit in the 1970s. DH (not DH then) borrowed it, and my yellow sailing boots, to go to a fancy dress party as a banana.   :laughing: I remember going to said party as a 'spiv', wearing a bloke's suit with a coat hanger up my back for extra shoulder width, wearing a black shirt and white tie and offering to sell other party goers nylons. I think I'd been watching too much Dad's Army.

When we got married  (> 40 years ago) our going away outfits were matching white shirts and black cord dungarees! So I do have a fondness for dungarees and jumpsuits. Apart from the bladder issue.... ahem..... I think I have too much tum now to wear these successfully. Basically, it seems you don't want too much sticking out whether it's in the abdominal area or further up! However, Siobhan McSweeny, an actress I like, wore a number of nice dungarees and jumpsuits in the Pottery Throwdown series and looked great in them. She is by no means ultra thin but she is a lot younger than me so maybe that's the answer!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Esme866

« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2021, 02:31:21 AM »
I think it's just a matter of once you attempt to wear an adult "onesie"/jumpsuit - the overwhelming majority of women will make a never to be forgotten mental note to never try anything so silly again!

charley

« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2021, 20:49:04 PM »
Well, I really enjoyed making the 2 I made for my daughter. She loves wearing them.

Gernella

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2021, 16:08:59 PM »
1991, I spent a few months in Scotland on a course at my employer's main office.  In the middle of nowhere they could wear what they liked and on the first day one of the locals turned up looking like Andy Pandy.  Somebody from further south, thought she looked very fashionable.

Nearest I got to adventuress was hot pants with a dress split to the waist.  DH loved them.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 16:10:41 PM by Gernella »
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

charlotte

« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2021, 18:56:22 PM »
I agree, @Bumblebuncher   my stats are similar to yours.  No way would I struggle into an all in one.  And the loo issue is a major one for me, I'm shuddering at the thought of dashing into a public convenience and having to completely undress.  I did wear a 'flying suit' (as it was called back in the day) way back in the early 1980s, can't remember where I bought it but I loved it on me then.  But that was then, and now is now, and I'm older, wiser and with a considerably weaker bladder  :laughing:

More than a few years ago I made a fabulous black silk culottes-dress-playsuit. It had a sheer yoke, so I sewed in a strapless bra which I thought could double as a stay. It would have been a great idea in a dress. In the toilet of a nightclub, I realised my error as it meant I had to pretty much get naked to use the loo!  :laughing:

On the other hand I do like a good pair of dungarees, but the I usually wear a t-shirt under those!

Ouryve

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2021, 22:27:34 PM »
I think it's just a matter of once you attempt to wear an adult "onesie"/jumpsuit - the overwhelming majority of women will make a never to be forgotten mental note to never try anything so silly again!

There was a thread on mumsnet, recently, where someone had got stuck in a jumpsuit that was too short on the body!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Ouryve

« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2021, 00:12:24 AM »
Just want to add some musings on the quality of independent patterns.

Positive experiences include:

Merchant and Mills - sparse instructions but they work and everything fits. Beautiful aesthetic, of course. I've worked my way through a lot of their catalogue!
Tilly and the buttons - every pattern is a tutorial. It's not all my style but I would recommend to anyone needing hand holding.
Sew house seven. Recently made the tea house top and, while there are things I would adjust again when I make it again, it was such a precise, satisfying sew and the instructions and online sewalong are exemplary.
Megan nielsen - have the opal pants pattern and so far use it twice. Well drafted, well written, lots of options.

Not so positive.

Liesl & Co. Classic shirt. Lacking online support. I've made shirts before but, as a returner, still needed some refreshing. There is a sewalong and it adds nothing to the booklet. My project has been in the sin bin for almost a year because the collar wasn't fitting and I got annoyed with it.

Grainline studio - how much for a simple sweatshirt with no variations? I only bought it because printer is knackered and various suitable pdf options wouldn't save me anything. Even then, the neckband was far too big, so if I hadn't worked my way through Tilly's stretch book, I would have been frustrated and disappointed.

Fancy tiger crafts. Currently making a Brome top. Nothing fits. The drafting is terrible and the instructions are all over the place.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"