The Sewing Place

Suggestion: subforum for clothing repair

THX1138

Suggestion: subforum for clothing repair
« on: July 22, 2017, 02:04:40 AM »
Maybe this is a stupid suggestion but I think it would be nice if there was a subforum for clothing repairs. I want to make a post asking about repairing leather using one of those leather repair kits but I don't think it really fits anywhere.

Greybird

Re: Suggestion: subforum for clothing repair
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 09:07:55 AM »
Good idea. TSF had a forum for make do and mend/upcycling and repurposing didn't it? Not sure if it was that exactly but something similar would be good.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 10:45:47 AM »
Hi there,

Keen to get a bit more input on this.

The reason we didn't do this initially is because a) we're not TSF and therefore didn't clone all their boards over and b) we felt that having too many boards lead to things getting lost.

For example, we felt that having a board specific to repairs would be less helpful than simply posting the question in the forum specific to the craft. For example if clothing-makers are hanging out in the clothing-making forum they are more likely to see the post than going into a specific repair forum that is a catch-all for different crafts.

However, I can see that we don't really have a spot for working with leather and such. I wonder if perhaps it might be better for us to have a separate forum for leather-working and utility fabrics? A space where people can both share projects relating to this and also get help for example in your case.

Keen to hear thoughts.

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 22:40:53 PM »
It's a good idea maybe instead of it just being about leather and suede how about making it for any nightmare fabrics.

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 14:27:52 PM »
I feel like that might fit better as just a separate thread in the Fabrics forum? And having a leatherworking place would also be able to include things like working with rivets and eyelets and such which is a fairly different area from purely fabric.