The Sewing Place

401g (Rogers)

Roger

401g (Rogers)
« on: July 25, 2017, 08:22:15 AM »
I finally organised a visit by our local OSMG (very lovely chap) and he took a look at the 401g it was skipping stitches and generally 'not quite right' .

I thought it was a timing issue related to when I did some work freeing the cam followers. Nope... the needle was in the wrong way round...  :S Doh!

The stitch selector was stiff, needed the screws on the knob tightening rather than additional oiling or work

Also I hadn't noticed the upper tension was weird... he did a load of work adjusting the tension and also found that it was just one of those machines that need a firm tug upwards to get the thread into the tension disks!

So it's now officially back up and running...

I just have to stop berating myself for not spotting the needle was in backwards  :fish:
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

SkoutSews

Re: 401g (Rogers)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 09:30:41 AM »
Ha!  We've all done it, or something very like it, at one time or another!  Well done for confessing.  My worst was lugging my machine a round trip of 100 miles and carrying it a long way from a car park to the shop, just to have the assistant point out the speed selector switch on the foot pedal that I had inadvertently nudged with my toe to the 'slow' setting. Also  :S

Good tip about the tension discs and selector knob.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 09:56:01 AM »
On Youtube the other day, I found a lovely chap, Andy, who has done some lovely videos 404 not 410, but with a lot of information, which you may find useful, particularly the stitch length knob adjustment.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q1dAUHqfvg

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 11:19:39 AM »
Jessie, that's a great link. There's a whole series of detailed videos on repairing and servicing old machines. Thanks!