The Sewing Place

Style Arc Roxy Shirt Finished

Ploshkin

Style Arc Roxy Shirt Finished
« on: July 25, 2017, 15:29:47 PM »
I've finished my first Style Arc pattern - a Roxy Shirt.  It is supposed to be an oversized shirt, which is what I was wanting,  but it is actually a well fitting ordinary shirt albeit with slightly dropped shoulders.  It's a well drafted pattern and a classic construction with collar and collar stand and proper cuff plackets (they're a bit wasted on me as I will inevitably wear the sleeves rolled up but it was a good exercise reminding myself how to do cuff plackets).   I forgot to put on sleeve tabs until it was too late but the sleeves don't need them to stay rolled up as they are a fairly narrow fit. The 'design feature' is on the back as the lower back is split.  When on the tails naturally swing apart at the bottom. 
The fabric is a woven red and white cotton from Fabric Godmother.  The weave makes it look a bit pinkish.  It has ended up very pricey in the button department - the 10 buttons, which I got yesterday, were 32p each.  When I got home I found that I had lost them!  The little paper bag must have come out of my bag when I took something else out of it and there was no hope of finding it.  So, I went back to the shop this morning for another 10.  That's £6.40 for the buttons, £1.40 for parking and about £10 worth of diesel for 80 miles driving.   Perhaps I should have just used some boring white ones that I cut off OH's old shirts.
Life's too short for ironing.

dolcevita

Re: Style Arc Roxy Shirt Finished
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 16:45:21 PM »
Very nice.  Super front band to show off those expensive buttons, too!

Fiona M

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 17:12:59 PM »
It's gorgeous, and the red buttons really set it off, so worth every penny!

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 17:22:02 PM »
When I was sewing on the buttons I was thinking Oh heck, 1950s man's pyjamas but fortunately it doesn't resemble pyjamas when worn.

maliw

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 20:13:46 PM »
Are you now a convert? The shirt is lovely and I really like the red buttons. I hadn't used SA patterns until just over a year ago and thanks to Demented Fairy I had to give them a go, now I really like them.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 21:22:28 PM »
I like that a lot - I'm another SA convert. well drafted patterns that are up to date but not over whacky!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 21:30:55 PM »
Are you now a convert?

I may well be.  I'm not keen on the small seam allowance and the fact that the SA is only 1/4" in some places.  It makes grading difficult.  But, the pattern is well drafted with all the markings accurate and the fit (size 10) was spot on for me straight out of the packet.  It's the first pattern I've used for ages that doesn't think I've got the shoulders of Arnold Schwarzenegger and has sensible sized armholes.  I've got a couple of other Style Arc patterns to try.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 22:21:59 PM »
Nice job.  Love the detail at the back. 

Pineau

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 13:48:15 PM »
bumping this back up as I've just finished two Roxys.

First one was an 18 (right size as per pattern) and apart from lengthening body and sleeves by 5cm I made no adjustments.

Result: just about wearable, but def not oversized, in fact the slimmest of slim fits.  I'd make it like that again if that was what I wanted, but only in a stretch fabric. And I wasn't sold on the bum-freezer tails although I liked them in the drawing.

Second go: made a size 20.  Converted back to a lined yoke and integrated the tails into a single back piece.  Didn't have enough scrap fabric for sleeves so it's a summer vest type thing.  Much much better, so I'll be using this for a proper white shirt next which was the point of the whole exercise.

Side note: the sleeve placket pieces are not what's shown in the SA instructions, which have a single placket piece.  I'll go for the latter next time.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 14:00:13 PM »
My red, striped one is still a much worn shirt.