The Sewing Place

Invisible zip into French seam?

Kad

Invisible zip into French seam?
« on: July 26, 2017, 16:01:46 PM »
I'm playing around with a length of Liberty lawn to make ' interesting top' for DD.  I can afford to play with it as it was labelled as  ' Misprint' and cost the princely sum of £1 for about  1.5m

The question is -  can I insert an invisible zip into the side seam when I would much prefer to French seam the whole thing. I love the tidiness of French seams and don't find invisible zips a problem,  but can I combine the two?
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

BrendaP

Re: Invisible zip into French seam?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 16:07:29 PM »
I don't see why not.

The usual method with invisible zips is to insert the zip and then close the seam, so instead of folding RS to RS below the zip and stitching on the seam line fold WS to WS and sew the first part of the French seam then turn RS to RS and sew the second pass.  You will end up with a small diagonal fold at the end of the French seam where it opens out for the zip.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

charlotte

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 16:09:24 PM »
Yes, you can sew a French seam below the zip, and clip it so that the seam is open above for the zip. You might find it easier to do the bottom of the seam before you put the zip in. To give the zip a neat finish I like to machine the seam allowance to the zip tape and then trim the seam allowance away so that you don't see it beyond the edge of the zip.

Kad

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 19:22:44 PM »
Many thanks for the advice, I've tried it on a scrap and am pleased to report success.
I'll complete the top tomorrow morning and hope she likes the resulting top. :)
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.