The Sewing Place

Cork fabric

Catllar

Cork fabric
« on: July 26, 2017, 17:31:59 PM »
Has anyone worked with cork fabric? I'm really tempted by some  from a Greek supplier to make a bag - that Round-a-bout bag from So Sew Easy - the freebie one.  Don't want to rush in too fast though - that's half my trouble - jump first and think later.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Catllar

Re: Cork fabric
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 14:37:34 PM »
Nobody??

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 14:57:36 PM »
 Never heard of it Cat  ...so went searching ..Well who knew you could make cork fabric  cork balls and they had a section for musical cork.. you learn so much on this forum.. Catllar you may have to be our official experimenter  :ninja:...good luck
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

elephun

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 15:22:26 PM »
I remember an article on it in one of the US sewing or craft or DIY magazines a few years ago. It's fuzzy for me, but I think the article was mostly like: "Did you know it's possible to sew with cork? We've never done it, but you can order some from xxxxx in Portugal. Here are some readymade things of cork to inspire you."
I only just saw some of the material in my local shop and haven't come up with a project I want to try.
I'm looking forward to reading how it goes, Catllar!

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 16:42:48 PM »
Saw a pic of a bag made with cork fabric on the Cloudsplitter FB page.

It looked rather nice but I assumed it was printed rather than actual cork.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 17:44:16 PM »
Hmm, OK then I'll take one for the group!  It is real cork apparently - I've got to try it now! I've never knowingly seen it - only in the shape of bath mats and wine corks - so who knew? Anyway I'm going in.  Maybe I can make a bouncing  musical bag?

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 18:11:41 PM »
Maybe I can make a bouncing  musical bag?
At least it'll float!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 18:25:14 PM »
Not only will it float but I'll keep myself entertained whilst awaiting rescue!!  0_0 I've ordered some and await with interest!

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 18:47:30 PM »
I've been on a couple of bag forums and they love it. There's also the papery textured stuff Kraft tex  that's good for accents.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 23:02:50 PM »
That looks fun too - but let's take this one odd material at a time! I was thinking of putting it with similicuir but I'm going to wait till the cork arrives first.

elephun

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 23:12:30 PM »
I don't know if this is helpful at this point, but I googled cork fabric, and found a supplier that has all sorts of patterns and shades. I clicked on one to get more info and saw that they sell it in a special size for Vogue Patterns Magazine/McCall's Pattern Co.
Jelinek cork fabric

Here's the pattern that they specify. Maybe it has tips for sewing with cork? It looks like it's out of print, though.
McCall's M6577

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 10:58:27 AM »
Thanks for that - I had a look at the site - did you see the price :o :o :o I'd want gold leaf for that money! The pattern is useful though. :flower:

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 17:18:36 PM »
Cork is on its way - Woohooo!!

Lizzy777

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 16:29:01 PM »
I was quite intrigued when I read your post Catlar so I googled, and I saw this!

http://www.jelinek.com/cork-fabric-and-cork-fashion-collections/

Apparently it sews like leather and the bags made out of it (further down the page) look wonderful. Have you chosen a pattern yet?

Is it easy to get hold of the cork fabric? I think I would like to try it too for something.

Oh! I found this too.

http://www.thelittlebritishfabricshop.co.uk/blog/cork-fabricits-coming-1

http://www.thelittlebritishfabricshop.co.uk/product/cork_surface_denim

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 16:39:31 PM by Lizzy777 »

Catllar

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 22:40:23 PM »
I've got this: http://so-sew-easy.com/the-roundabout-bag-potm/

I've sourced my cork from france and for less than twice the price of a UK fat eighth from the little britishfabricshop, I've got half a yard of 140wide.  I agree they have a lovely range of products in the lbfs, but I think I've got a fair deal here ( provided it works).

I have been wondering what will happen to the cork oaks here - they are still harvested for top range corks apparently, but the quantity of trees in my valley surely outnumbers the number of corks needed nowadays!  I have several cork oaks in my garden but  they still have their overcoats! They are lovely trees - all gnarled and grey. Harvested trees look amazing and the underbark is the most delicious shade of chestnut.