The Sewing Place

Scissor sharpening

AnneFrances

Scissor sharpening
« on: July 27, 2017, 12:14:08 PM »
I have two pairs of good scissors (one 6 inch and one shears) that really need sharpening. I have been looking at these people: http://www.scissor-sharpening.co.uk/hairdresser-scissor-sharpening-for-london who seem to do "tailors" scissors as well as hairdressers, and also these: http://www.prosharp.co.uk/services.asp?c=c2 who also say they do dressmakers scissors and even pinking shears. I have never thrown away my grandmother's pre-war pinking shears and might see if those could be rendered usable too. But I am a little nervous about this and wondered if anyone had experience of either of these companies or could recommend anyone else. Many thanks Anne

Kad

Re: Scissor sharpening
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 13:05:42 PM »
I've recently used: http://www.sharpening-service.co.uk/prices.html

for both overlocker blades and a pair of dressmaking shears that had had a bad encounter with a pin ( or two )  :'(

The prices were reasonable and the turn-around quick even though I didn't pay the extra for 1st class return postage and the shears are in back to new condition with no sign of the nasty gouges left by the pins and the overlocker blades also cut perfectly even though they were previously unusable.

I was very impressed and am thinking about sending them my Nan's pinking shears to revive.

(Just remember to package them up well to make sure the Post Office will accept them)
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 13:20:20 PM »
I had a couple of pairs of mine done last year, and while the company did an excellent job of the shears, the pinking shears didn't come up so well.

Can't complain, I think he only charged me £8 for two pairs.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 16:01:08 PM »

Bloobell

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 16:41:02 PM »
Warning - I just used Prosharp to rescue a pair of very blunt dressmaking shears and am very happy with the actual scissors.

I'm pretty flipping MAD about the postage though. I paid extra for them to return my precious scissors using the Royal Mail Special Delivery service, which was £7.25. I did this because it includes additional insurance and meant I'd sign for them. Replacing them like for like would be almost £100 so I thought it would be worth the extra cost.

Nope, it wasn't. They didn't bluddy use the service I paid for, just normal post. Normal first class post. I'm truly peed off.

The postage cost marked on their package is £3.45.

I therefore paid an additional £3.80 for absolutely nothing. I feel robbed. I genuinely am utterly cheesed off and have asked them for an explanation.

I appreciate a small increase to pay for packaging and a bit of time taking parcels to a local post office, but MORE than doubling the cost of the postage?????

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 18:36:38 PM »
Get in touch and complain, you may get the extra refunded.

Bloobell

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 10:03:47 AM »
Done, waiting on response to my email.

Bloobell

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 10:59:21 AM »
Colour me HAPPY.

Prosharp have refunded me for the extra postage - my package got put into the wrong pile by mistake. My postage should only have been £4, so they've refunded me the extra I paid.

I'm very happy about this, because they've done an absolutely beautiful job on a pair of scissors that I thought was ruined forever.

I'll be using them again now!

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 17:23:50 PM »
This just popped up on a google search for scissor sharpening. I was just looking at Prosharp thinking I'd heard good things about them and this confirms it!

I have a pair of Fiskars Amplify that went blunt very quickly with all the lycra I was sewing back then but my daughter would appreciate them and a pair of Gingher shears that I dropped.  -< They still cut but not with such smooth silkiness as before. 
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Gernella

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 17:51:24 PM »
Wow, made a note of these, no sewing scissors, yet, but have got two pairs of hair  cutters that are getting ready, after umpteen years.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

So Chic

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 19:36:15 PM »
I ordered a pair of scissors and received them next day and they were very securely packed.  I will definitely use them for sharpening.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 14:53:40 PM »
I have one of these gadgets to keep my Fiskars/Wilkinson Sword shears keen:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiskars-Scissor-Sharpener-Right-handed-grinding/dp/B0001P08JC/ref=asc_df_B0001P08JC/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=232028567160&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=21784743042646195&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007209&hvtargid=pla-421742577521&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

They are not perfect but I've had my shears 40 years and only had them sharpened professionally once (circa 2006, by a little man in Fleetville, St Albans, who's now retired).

Not sure I'd trust my Ernest Wrights to it, but they don't see so much action because they're heavy and best for coating and the likes.

KayK

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 12:48:50 PM »
I have one of these gadgets to keep my Fiskars/Wilkinson Sword shears keen:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiskars-Scissor-Sharpener-Right-handed-grinding/dp/B0001P08JC/ref=asc_df_B0001P08JC/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=232028567160&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=21784743042646195&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007209&hvtargid=pla-421742577521&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

I too have one of these, and although they won't rescue a pair of scissors with a big burr in, they will manage other slightly blunt ones with ease.  I put all my scissors through this little gadget regularly and it really works!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 14:16:34 PM »
Would it deal with a small burr?  One that I can't even see, but which makes the scissors hesitate at one point.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2021, 13:38:26 PM »
I've found it's OK for that kind of thing.  Cutting through pins is another matter :scream: