The Sewing Place

Facings - neatening, grading, understitching

Lilacs

Re: Facings - neatening, grading, understitching
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »
... which is disappointing as it was in JL fashion fabric department. The mind boggles as to what it might be suited to.
Yes, the collar facing is of course interfaced - the collar piece not, and too late to add interfacing to that now.
I think I have come full circle to the overlocking option :)

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 11:24:58 AM »
Lilacs what about binding, or a strip of braid/lace, to cover the overlocking?  I've covered a badly finished neck with cotton lace trim before now, and it looked lovely.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lilacs

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 13:21:39 PM »
This overlocking will be on the inside, so shouldn't be a problem.
The cheapie top was binned!

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 13:50:10 PM »
With understitching, clip into the seam where the lapel turns back, move seam allowances to the other side and  understitch on the opposite side.  Alway do jacket lapels like that.

Lilacs

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 15:08:30 PM »
I know how to do it - thanks - I'm just not sure I need to do it :)

dolcevita

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 16:13:10 PM »
If the concern is how durable the collar will be, I'm not sure that grading and understitching make a lot of difference to that. 

If the seams are fragile, the most likely place to show it first will be the collar/lapel seams.  Sewing in a fine, narrow cotton tape (the sort used in tailoring a jacket lapels, called stay tape) when you put together the collar and lapels will help take the strain on this seam and preserve your fabric.  I wouldn't overlock as it will add quite a lot of bulk, but if it frays really badly, used a hand stitch to overcast the seam.  By the time you've fiddled around with an overlocker to try and get it right, it will be just as quick and effective but with far less bulk.  You can also do it after grading or whenever you choose to do it.

elephun

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 17:30:59 PM »
Keep in mind that you can use a three step zig zag or other medium-width decorative stitch for understitching and that should prevent some raveling that a straight stitch understitching might allow.

jen

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2017, 10:16:17 AM »
Good point Elephun. You can also use binding instead of facing to set some collars on.