The Sewing Place

Interfacing?

Efemera

Interfacing?
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:57:54 AM »
I'm making a blouse with collar from a drapey  rayon, I've used a very light weight fusible but as I thought it's altered the drapeyness... I've taken most of it out, leaving just enough for buttonholes and button.. too late to take it out of the collar. The glue is still making it a bit stiff. I've been sewing for eons and you would think I had this sorted bu now..

what would you use?..

Efemera

Re: Interfacing?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 18:00:23 PM »
Nobody got any suggestions?

Swisslass

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 18:34:04 PM »
http://www.vlieseline.com/Products/Fusible-Interlinings

Our local fabric shop stocks them all and I usually go in and match up the fabric to the interfacing (or rather they fall over themselves to do it
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 22:08:23 PM »
I'd use one of these from Engkish Couture. I use fine sheer fusible a lot.  It doesn't alter the hand of the fashion fabric at all.   I would always use an interfacing of some sort.  It makes so much difference to the garment. 

http://englishcouture.co.uk/product/ecc21-fine-sheer-fusible/
http://englishcouture.co.uk/product/ecc71-silky-touch-couture-light/

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 22:12:40 PM »
I use a very lightweight  one, but I've done exactly the same, but in my case  I had to  abandon the project because the white colour was showing through, and the  fabric shredded when I tried to remove it.

Peggy Sages at Silhouette  patterns isn't  a great fan of interfacing.  Sorry, no link but her Web casts are worth a look.  She uses a lot of industry techniques.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 22:40:17 PM »
It's in the bin...... that's two wadders in a week!.. I'll Google Peggy.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 23:03:07 PM »
Oh dear. That's a pity. If you haven't flung it out irretrievably would it be worth washing it to see if the collar softens up... or is it too late?  :(
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Holly Berry

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 23:18:54 PM »
I use fusible knit interfacing now even on woven fabrics, as the non stretch of the woven stops the stretch of the interfacing. I also use it cut in strips for stabilising stretch seams and hems. If you want it to be a heavier interfacing you can use by fusing 2 layers on top of one another, but I find one layer enough for most fabrics.

I get mine from Gill Arnold or sew essential it's about £5 per metre which seems expensive, but I find cheaper in the long run as I now buy the one type, unless it's for speed tailoring, when I buy the packs from English Couture Co.
Procrastination get behind me

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 08:15:23 AM »
Oh dear. That's a pity. If you haven't flung it out irretrievably would it be worth washing it to see if the collar softens up... or is it too late?  :(

Yes too late..I don't know why I make blouses.. I don't wear them!

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 15:51:28 PM »
I use fusible knit interfacing now even on woven fabrics, as the non stretch of the woven stops the stretch of the interfacing. I also use it cut in strips for stabilising stretch seams and hems. If you want it to be a heavier interfacing you can use by fusing 2 layers on top of one another, but I find one layer enough for most fabrics.

That's a great tip - I'm always muddling up my interfacings in the drawer . Some mean people might say I should label them - but where's the fun in that!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 20:57:25 PM »
Well mine were labelled Catllar :angel:  but I swear some rotten little  :devil: came in and took all the labels off.  I can't find them anyway! 0_0

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 22:10:42 PM »
Don't you just hate when that happens?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 21:54:35 PM »
Certainly do!  I think they also take my pattern pieces sometimes.  i can't always find them when I want them.  >:)

dolcevita

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 08:42:04 AM »
Washed, undyed silk organza can be a good solution for this kind of garment.  I've used it in a couple of collars in the past and it gives enough body, no worrying about the glue bubbling and the colour doesn't come through unless it's a very strong contrast.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 21:42:42 PM »
I was taught that for very lightweight fabric you should self-interface using the fashion fabric of the main garment.  If you really don't want to do that you absolutely must test a remnant with sample interfacing and see how it's changed, both before and after washing.

Back in the day when I made a lot of shirts with fusible interfacing, I always interfaced the bit that wasn't seen, eg, the inside of the collar stand or cuff, or the underside of the collar, because of the problem of the interfacing glue seeping through.